bandit803

Do MacBooks take the smaller CD's?

hey, since the mac's do'nt have CD drives with a tray that pops out, can they still take the disks which act as CD's but are half as big, used in Camcorders.

hey, since the mac's do'nt have CD drives with a tray that pops out, can they still take the disks which act as CD's but are half as big, used in Camcorders.

I think these discs will become lodged in your cd-rom drive on any slot loading (no tray) drives currently in Macs. I know the Wii consoles can accept GameCube games, but these are the only drives that I know of that accept the smaller disks. If anyone else knows for sure, I'd like to know about this too, but I've read and heard that you aren't supposed to insert these smaller discs in the mac's slot loading drives.

The smaller CD's get stuck inside the drive, so I wouldnt recommend trying it

Straight from Apple, do NOT use non-standard CDs or DVDs in a slot loading drive.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88275

This goes for any of the iBooks, PowerBooks, iMacs, Mac Mini, MacBooks and MacBook Pros that have a slot loading drive. If your drive has a tray that slides out, then you can use them.

roog

It's interesting because the slot loading drive in the Wii does accept Game Cube discs which are in the smaller format. So the technology is out there. As far as I know though, the drives used in Macs still do not take small or oddly shaped disks. Granted though, I have not actually tried to test this.

Roogie is right. You need a tray-loading drive with the small disc space carved out in the middle. My old G3 iBook has one.

Roogie is right. You need a tray-loading drive with the small disc space carved out in the middle. My old G3 iBook has one.

Yea, there are some of the slot loading models that accept the smaller discs, I know both my cars will, but unless you know specifically (find out the model and look it up) I wouldn't take the chance.

roog

Definitely don't put a mini-disc in a macbook... I know from experience...

lol, good, i wasn't sure anyway though i don't think i would have done it even if you guys said it was ok!