kman101

New iMac Announcement Tomorrrow

There have been many rumors that Apple is going to make an announcement about the new iMac tomorrow at a press conference or something.

Share your ideas.

Faster CPU, new motherboard, bigger hard drive, HD DVD?, aluminum, new keyboard. I am pretty sure that will be there.

What I am hoping: Touch screen although I would be shocked if it happened.

I'm hoping for a macmini and an imac update. I'm not planning on buying either but in my mac proselytizing efforts, these updates would be quite handy...

I highly doubt, I mean highly, doubt we will touch screen Macs for a while. Apple (unless they are drinking the iPhone Kool-Aid) would "have" to let their premium paying developers know about this in advance and have them start developing for it. Touch screen is almost as big as the Intel switch.

If we do see any hi def format, I am pretty sure it will be Blu-Ray, I think that is what Apple said they were backing. That might have changed.

I really hope they don't drop the $999 iMac. If they keep doing these price increases they are really jeopardizing their education department (for school and districts). A district isn't going to (or at least large ones) aren't going to go for the cheap mac mini's. And I think by chopping off the eMac they forced schools to spend more money on computers.

Neil -

Don't they offer educational discounts on the iMacs now?

I think new iMacs with brushed metal, new keyboard, optional higher-res displays (for the iMacs)? The mac mini is so out of date it's not worth buying unless you need the form factor. I highly doubt we will get touch screen displays on iMacs. Hopefully new Cinima displays.

Edited by twitfan123

They do offer discounts, but only by not by much. And seeing that they just axed off the $999 iMac, they are going to force districts to pay 150 bucks more (somewhere around there) then they would if they had a 17inch model. Most uses for the iMac in schools don't need a 20inch monitor. The eMac was pretty good computer for schools. It was compact. Cheap. And extremely funny watching students trying to find the power button.