So how do you like the new iMac design?

I must admit to being a bit disappointed, as I was hoping for something a bit more radical. A back-lit, touch-screen iMac would have been amazing. Still, I'm happy that it's not a huge improvement over my six-month-old iMac :D

wow. thats the best iMac ive seen, i think its better than the LCD G4 iMac. I woke up at 3 in the morning to watch engadget, I haven't watched the video yet, but I think steve said 2.4GHz Core 2 Extreme but its really 2.8 Core 2 Extreme, and normal Core 2 Duos (probably Santa Rosa version) in the normal models.

Looking at the image of the mac product line, the new iMac seems a bit out of place with the black screen border, the other models (i.e. macbook pro) would look cool if they followed the design.

Edited by ipodman

wow. thats the best iMac ive seen, i think its better than the LCD G4 iMac. I woke up at 3 in the morning to watch engadget, I haven't watched the video yet, but I think steve said 2.4GHz Core 2 Extreme but its really 2.8 Core 2 Extreme, and normal Core 2 Duos (probably Santa Rosa version) in the normal models.

Looking at the image of the mac product line, the new iMac seems a bit out of place with the black screen border, the other models (i.e. macbook pro) would look cool if they followed the design.

I agree i hope some of the Imacs new look gets distributed to the rest of the pro line i think the consumer line still looks fine. Even thought the iMac used to be a consumer product i think its in the middle now.

Does anyone know if these iMacs are using the Merom or the Conroe version of the Core 2 Duo?

wow, thats thin

new-imac-keyboard-13.jpg

They look great. My significant other said they remind her of the iPhone and that was her prediction for the new look.

I wonder if they're going to keep producing the previous gen 17"ers for the education market as, even with a discount, the new 20" looks to be a bit pricey for most K-12 folks. I'd hate to see Apple moving out of that space.

I think they are pretty nice looking. I understand people's frustration; a lot of people were looking for something a bit more fancy and different. It's a very nice clean look. Apple probably should have made it an option for glossy or matte screens...

The iMacs have a Merom processor (new generation)

- Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 2.0GHz

- Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 2.4GHz

- Intel Core 2 Extreme X7900 2.8GHz

I think it's great that Apple put the option for a C2E (extreme) in the 24" model. It gives the iMac a desktop-class processor with a notebook processor. After all the chip is (was?) $999.

About the glassy (woops, glossy) display - It's not a coating over the actual LCD; Apple smashed a piece of glass over it. It's probably a matte screen without the glass over it. If anyone gets a chance to take apart the new iMac, please let us know about the LCD!

Edited by cherry su

I do not particularly like this design, especially the thick black line around the LCD display, which reminds me of a funeral card. I still think the iMac G4 is the most beautiful design ever. I guess considering Apple is not a hardware company anymore, but rather a software company, the new iMac is okay.

The new keyboard is just the ugliest and non-functional thing I have ever seen. Keyboards are supposed to be heavy, so they are rock steady on your desktop. So, this keyboard it just a flimsy piece of ****ware. Of course, the mighty mouse, well most agree, that the MM is even less functional than the one-button mouse.

Anyway, in my eyes, the whole thing is more like a fashion statement than anything else. I guess you have to ask some real Italians what they think of the new iMac, because they seem to have an innate sense of style.

I'll buy the iMac, but not because I like the design. I guess it's a machine to get a case for, to give it a personal touch. I hope they will create a black version of the iMac. Now that would rock!

I played on one today at an Apple store and loved it. Keep in mind that I'm female, but I thought the keyboard was very elegant. Maybe Apple is trying to appeal to a crowd who wants sleek items in their living rooms? :unsure:

I agree i hope some of the Imacs new look gets distributed to the rest of the pro line i think the consumer line still looks fine. Even thought the iMac used to be a consumer product i think its in the middle now.

I disagree. I think by giving the imac a glossy screen they have placed it firmly into the consumer line. You can no longer use it effectively for design and prepress which is apples biggest pro market.

I think BOTH are very ugly. I do not like the black apple logo in front and I really hate the black edge, at least from photos. I will go check one out in person later, but I doubt my opinion will change.

On the keyboard... why the white keys? Either make them match the keyboard (silver) or the computer (black). And no keypad on the wireless?? After reading the forums at AppleInsider, there are some decent arguments for cutting off the extra keys, but I personally, as well as many other people it would seem, prefer the wireless keyboard as my DESK keyboard. I use the extended keys all the time. I hate that if I ever want or need to upgrade my keyboard now I either have to get a wired one or a 3rd party wireless one. They really should offer BOTH wireless versions... qwerty-only and extended.

On an unrelated note... the new apps look killer. Especially Numbers and iPhoto. I can't wait to get my hands on them!

Edited by TDamon

I like them, I have always liked Apple's minimalistic approach, especially with the iMac line. I bought a PowerBook G4 based on looks, an iBook would have suited me fine, but I loved the aluminum finish and had to have one. Aesthetics are very important, just look at even my 7 year old PowerMac G4 compared to a Dell box, the thing just screams coolness.

roog

flickr_photo_download__design_perfection-20070810-232142.jpg

Glare!! This is one Ugly Mac :-( Looks like a 1/2 ass idea that was rushed to get a rev out.

Remove all external lighting before use ;-)

Why the black border and why offer only a Glossy screen?

I sat looking at the keynote on QT and was unimpressed along with the audience, nothing inspiring unless you love spreadsheets, sorry guys but i'm becoming more impatient with Apple inc.

Steve looked tired, bored and like he would rather be at home washing his underwear rather than selling what can only be described as Yawnish products, Apple want to appeal to the ellite, affluent consumers but this is not the way.

Edited by zionlion

Okay, so... saw one in person today. The iMacs are a lot thinner / sleeker in person. Still not in love with it, but it's not nearly as ugly as in the pictures.

Surprisingly, I hate the new keyboards, even though they are based on the MacBook keyboard which I love. They feel very cheap, and the edge is very abrupt (apparently I have a habit of pushing on the front of the keyboard to adjust it, and that is very uncomfortable on that keyboard).

Any, just thought I'd share.

flickr_photo_download__design_perfection-20070810-232142.jpg

Glare!! This is one Ugly Mac :-( Looks like a 1/2 ass idea that was rushed to get a rev out.

Remove all external lighting before use ;-)

Why the black border and why offer only a Glossy screen?

I sat looking at the keynote on QT and was unimpressed along with the audience, nothing inspiring unless you love spreadsheets, sorry guys but i'm becoming more impatient with Apple inc.

Steve looked tired, bored and like he would rather be at home washing his underwear rather than selling what can only be described as Yawnish products, Apple want to appeal to the ellite, affluent consumers but this is not the way.

Totally agree! This looks like a Dell clone of an iMac. This is regressive design, not progressive. Did Ives resign? Why not an aluminum back-panel. Black plastic is typical of cheap PC's... black Macbooks excluded. OH, and no iMovie '08 on G4's. Nice of Steve NOT to mention that during the speech. Talk about a buzz kill!!! BAD MOVE APPLE!!! I know it's probably a power-hungry app, but let ME deicde if it's not fast enough. At least "recommend" a G5 or newer. This is the Aperture debacle all over again. Stock is down quite a bit over the last week too. Not good.

Although I've slated the keyboard and the screen, I think that the actual housing is really nice. If they offered a matte screen and a real keyboard (not made by bloomin fisher price) it would be a sweet machine.

And about getting iMovie to run on a G4? It would be totally unusable. It's hardly super fast on my 2.33Ghz C2D MacBook Pro.

"It's hardly super fast on my 2.33Ghz C2D MacBook Pro."

I have noticed it too, the new ilife and iwork definatey are slower at launching and im using a new macboook pro?

Edited by tom203

I'm not saying its slow or anything, its acceptable. And once it's launched its pretty nippy, but I put that down to the 3Gb of RAM rather than the processor. But I bet you won't get the instant rendering with a G4 (or even G5 for that matter).

IMO i think it looks awesome! its new screen and aluminum body are just simply beautiful. What is your opinion? ive seen coments on Flickr photos of the new iMac and some people say its fugly....

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1045833554&size=o" target="_blank">Pic of the new iMac in real life

</a>Here is a good shot to show how thin it really is

From your pictures.....it looks like a thing of beauty.

Keyboard looks much to thin, and the keys too spread out for my taste. i suppose i'd have to try it out to really, know, but i like somehting solid behind my fingers, and close in keys like on the laptops.

I bought the base 24-inch model this weekend and love the keyboard...the thinness makes it a lot more comfortable on the wrists and typing on it doesn't feel any different to me than typing on my HP laptop (which has a great keyboard). I agree that visually it looks more spread out but I think that's just the way it's designed...I'm a touch typist and it didn't take any adjustments to get used to it. I should also point out that everyone who has seen the new setup so far has commented on how much they love the way the keyboard looks.

Craig

I just wondered, is the iMac now officially a consumer-type computer?

Previous models could be used by both consumers and creative professionals, but it seems that Apple wants those pros to buy either a MacBook Pro or a MacPro, because the new iMac has a non-professional glossy glass screen.

Another thing I wondered. LCD screens can normally be used for several generations of computers, but the iMac screen is locked to the computer and can't be reused. Isn't that really environment-unfriendly? I would rather see an integrated LCD screen that can be removed or replaced by the user and put into an enclosure, much like hard disks can nowadays.

Leo Laporte made the comparison with the automobile industry. Now computer hardware doesn't change as much as it used to, the new trend seems to be to package marginally upgraded hardware into radical new designs. Now we all know how wasteful cars are, especially if consumers buy new models when they get bored of old models. Isn't this type of consumerism wasteful? It takes a lot of energy to build new machines and what happens with yesteryear's models, that function just as good as the newest model?

Do we really want this trend in the computer industry? The new iMac seems to be a typical example of style instead of innovation. Perhaps Apple should also go into fashion and haute couture. They would do great, especially in high-tech accessories for fashion.

Edited by Ignoracious

I have to say that i am dissapointed in the new iMac and loving it at the same time. This paradox is based on the fact that I have been looking forward to a fresh new design since i got my second iMac back in Jan 2006 when the intel ones came out. The new one looks great and i tried one at the mac store here and I loved it but as far as i'm concerned is that its just a tricked up G5 iMac. You put the G3, G4, G5/intel iMac's next to each other and its a whole world of a difference. This one is not really a redesign at all, just a fresh look on the same old thing. Too bad, guess i have to wait for the next redisgn. The other vexing issue is why would anyone want one now when Leopard will be out soon and come preloaded on it? It would make more sense to wait 2 months and get the new OS for free.

Cheers

The other vexing issue is why would anyone want one now when Leopard will be out soon and come preloaded on it? It would make more sense to wait 2 months and get the new OS for free.

The way I look at it, I'm renting the iMac for 2 1/2 months (Leopard won't be out until the end of October if Apple sticks to tradition) for $129 (or whatever Leopard ends up costing). And right now that's worth it to me. YMMV.

Craig