Sign in to follow this  
bandit803

MacBook Screws?

Hey, i just noticed that on my MacBook on on the side of the base (not screen) near the security lock thing the actural side part of further out than it should be. Meaning if i push it it goes in then out again. Is there a way to tighten the screw at home with everyday stuff? The nearest apple shop is just over a hour away (leeds, i'm in the middle of no-where!) so i don't want to go there if i can avoid it.

Hey, i just noticed that on my MacBook on on the side of the base (not screen) near the security lock thing the actural side part of further out than it should be. Meaning if i push it it goes in then out again. Is there a way to tighten the screw at home with everyday stuff? The nearest apple shop is just over a hour away (leeds, i'm in the middle of no-where!) so i don't want to go there if i can avoid it.

If they are anything like Macbook Pro's, they are just small Phillip's head screws. Any small Phillips head screwdriver should work, just make sure you have the right sized head so you don't mess up the screw.

You could tighten the screws on the left side, but I'll tell you they don't actually screw into anything. They're just cosmetic to match the ones on the right side (by the optical drive). You can take the whole computer apart and never touch the screws on the left.

You could tighten the screws on the left side, but I'll tell you they don't actually screw into anything. They're just cosmetic to match the ones on the right side (by the optical drive). You can take the whole computer apart and never touch the screws on the left.

It's been a while since my MacBook has been apart but I believe that they hold the white plastic to the metal frame of the computer. Sure you can take the thing apart w/o touching them, but they aren't just cosmetic.

And to tighten them either use a small philips head jeweler's screw driver, or the tip of a sharp knife also works.

-Tom

You should be able to get a good set of jewelers screwdrivers from Walmart for about 5 bucks if you dont already have a small enough screwdriver, but it probably wouldnt do any good.

My Macbook does the same thing, and Ive tried screwing them in, pushing as hard as I could to try and get them to go in, but they just turn and turn and it doesnt get any tighter.

You should be able to get a good set of jewelers screwdrivers from Walmart for about 5 bucks if you dont already have a small enough screwdriver, but it probably wouldnt do any good.

My Macbook does the same thing, and Ive tried screwing them in, pushing as hard as I could to try and get them to go in, but they just turn and turn and it doesnt get any tighter.

You've probably stripped the screws. I tighten mine all the time and they actually tighten. Either way I wouldn't worry about it at all.

-Tom