Sign in to follow this  
Ignoracious

iDisk on Panther capped at 2 GB

I still use Panther 10.3.9 and it seems the iDisk application is capped at 2 GB of storage space. I did turn off synchronization, reset my Mac, and turn back on the synching of iDisk, as recommended in the online version of dotMac Help. I also checked if there was a software update for iDisk with Software Update; if there was one, I couldn't find it.

It seems the current Panther version of the iDisk application has a bug, at least, in the amount of available disk space it displays. I don't know if one can go beyond that amount without a warning and aborted data transfer.

Of course, I can use the web-version of iDisk, so it is not that I'm getting less space than what I paid for. However, the web-version is less convenient than the local equivalent, and I'm not paying for pure off site storage (which can be had for less elsewhere), but for convenience.

Edited by Ignoracious

I still use Panther 10.3.9 and it seems the iDisk application is capped at 2 GB of storage space. I did turn off synchronization, reset my Mac, and turn back on the synching of iDisk, as recommended in the online version of dotMac Help. I also checked if there was a software update for iDisk with Software Update; if there was one, I couldn't find it.

It seems the current Panther version of the iDisk application has a bug, at least, in the amount of available disk space it displays. I don't know if one can go beyond that amount without a warning and aborted data transfer.

Of course, I can use the web-version of iDisk, so it is not that I'm getting less space than what I paid for. However, the web-version is less convenient than the local equivalent, and I'm not paying for pure off site storage (which can be had for less elsewhere), but for convenience.

Does Panther uses HFS+, I assume. So having the 2GB Limit wouldn't be a partitioning limitation... so I'm plum out of any other ideas, have you tried contacting support?

Does Panther uses HFS+, I assume. So having the 2GB Limit wouldn't be a partitioning limitation... so I'm plum out of any other ideas, have you tried contacting support?

I don't know how to contact support for dotMac and iDisk. I've tried the support pages on Apple.com, but those seem to be focused on OS 10.4.

I should also mention that where I write the iDisk application, I meant System Preference pane of dotMac.

idiskfy0.png

As you can see, it is limited to 2 GB (Capaciteit means Capacity). I have a minimal amount for my e-mail account of dotMac.

I also tried to copy several GB to my account, using the iDisk disk image, but the limit really is 2 GB, and I couldn't copy 2.4 GB in several ZIP archives. I'm afraid it is an OS level restriction.

Edited by Ignoracious