Sign in to follow this  
Tom.landy

Paris Expo 2005

what about 3GHz+ PowerMacs?

u must mean dual 3 right cause i have 4 right now

I think he means you must mean a PowerMac G5 with 2x 3GHz CPUs, cause he has 4 GHz already. Of course he doesn't he has a dual 2GHz machine which is a VERY different thing altogether. 2x 2GHz != 4GHz... Sorry.

As for the Keynote I'm not expecting anything ultra stunning. I attended in 2003 and all we got was a Powerbook speed bump and a wireless Keyboard and Mouse (so much for Apple not using major keynotes for mice ;)). The rest was same-old same-old demos of 10.3 (which came out a month later).

I will say this much about stuff already touted so far:

Leopard: Steve said there will be little or no info on LEopard until WWDC 2006, where they will go to town on it. I expect maybe a short preview at the January Expo in New York but it'll literally only be a sneak peak if anything.

G5 Powerbooks: for the last time this is not happening. I'd hoped that common sense would have finally settled in after Steve's big talk about not being able to get a low-power G5 for laptops at WWDC 2005. The G5 will not work in a compact form factor. If you read some news there are even issues with it overheating in iMac G5s.

Bluetooth Mighty Mouse: Bluetooth Mice are laggy and evil. I tried one at the Apple Store in London and man it was horrid compared to a wired Mighty Mouse. My friend, who's a freelance Mac tech, says he's had a large number of complaints along the same lines. That said Apple still sell em so a wireless Mighty Mouse is not out of the question - I won't be buying one though (i already have a wired one anyway :)).

iPods: Bluetooth for in-car audio is a maybe - but really not all that likely. Audiophiles won't like it anyway as the bandwidth does not allow sufficient quality.

Colour screen iPod mini is a likely one but don't forget Apple is having a big music related event on September 7th at the Moscone Center. Anything iPod may be done there.

I predict more Intel demos (which is fine with me I like watching OS X run like water on a Pentium 4 :P), talk about the Intel Developer tools for OS X, Powerbook speedbumps (following the recent new agreement with Freescale), something software - dunno what tho. Oh and just one more thing.......

I wouldn't doubt Paris at all. They can roll out some pretty big stuff there, like the iMac G5 last year for example.

I think he means you must mean a PowerMac G5 with 2x 3GHz CPUs, cause he has 4 GHz already. Of course he doesn't he has a dual 2GHz machine which is a VERY different thing altogether. 2x 2GHz != 4GHz... Sorry.

As for the Keynote I'm not expecting anything ultra stunning. I attended in 2003 and all we got was a Powerbook speed bump and a wireless Keyboard and Mouse (so much for Apple not using major keynotes for mice ;)). The rest was same-old same-old demos of 10.3 (which came out a month later).

I will say this much about stuff already touted so far:

Leopard: Steve said there will be little or no info on LEopard until WWDC 2006, where they will go to town on it. I expect maybe a short preview at the January Expo in New York but it'll literally only be a sneak peak if anything.

G5 Powerbooks: for the last time this is not happening. I'd hoped that common sense would have finally settled in after Steve's big talk about not being able to get a low-power G5 for laptops at WWDC 2005. The G5 will not work in a compact form factor. If you read some news there are even issues with it overheating in iMac G5s.

Bluetooth Mighty Mouse: Bluetooth Mice are laggy and evil. I tried one at the Apple Store in London and man it was horrid compared to a wired Mighty Mouse. My friend, who's a freelance Mac tech, says he's had a large number of complaints along the same lines. That said Apple still sell em so a wireless Mighty Mouse is not out of the question - I won't be buying one though (i already have a wired one anyway :)).

iPods: Bluetooth for in-car audio is a maybe - but really not all that likely. Audiophiles won't like it anyway as the bandwidth does not allow sufficient quality.

Colour screen iPod mini is a likely one but don't forget Apple is having a big music related event on September 7th at the Moscone Center. Anything iPod may be done there.

I predict more Intel demos (which is fine with me I like watching OS X run like water on a Pentium 4 :P), talk about the Intel Developer tools for OS X, Powerbook speedbumps (following the recent new agreement with Freescale), something software - dunno what tho. Oh and just one more thing.......

2 things

1.how r they diffrent (dont mean to sound arrogent ust questioning)

and 2. wuts the one more thing

sry 3 things i think u meant puma as leopard was 10.2

i think u meant puma as leopard was 10.2

No, 10.2 was Jaguar, Leopard is 10.5 that's already been announced.

o must have been confused or maybe i just wanted it 2 b puma cause that sounds soooo cooler

also i dont get how havin 2 2ghz processors is diffrent than a single 4ghz

not every program benefits from dual processors. they must be written in a multithreaded fasion which includes a process called scheduling. scheduling is what keeps data in synch as the application is divided and run throught the individual processors... at least that is what i have been told.

your right lunchbox, in fact some programmes are so un-multi threadded the second processor is redundant and isn't used at all.

also CPU's aren't like raided hard drives, they are always seperate and unless you have a dual core, they don't share processing power(multi-threadded apps excepted) and you only use one processor at a time, usually

....which includes a process called scheduling.
ANY OS uses scheduling to alot processes to the processor/s for processing, regardless of how many processors the machine has. Thats what an OS is for. This is what gives the user the impression that a computer can carry out many things at once (multitasking). It can't !! All the OS does is slice the processes (running programs) up, and schedules them in for processing and it all happens so fast you think there are multiple programs running. However, if you have 2 processors, and the application software is written to make use of both processors, then you may have 2 processes running at the same time. This is multiprogramming. There are many different types of scheduling algorithm too, such as First Come First Serve (FCFS), Round Robin, Longest Job First, Shortest Job First, etc etc. A good OS will make use of many different algorithms to ensure that all processes are processed based on their importance (priority or nice value), with least use of memory and most economic use of processing power. Threads are smaller parts of a process, and these may be multi-processed using specific processing technology that supports it (such as P4 HT technology). There is still only one process being processed at one time though. HTH.

wow i actually got most of that!

so is dual 2s or a single 4 better and is my friends windows witha 4ghz faster than my powermac dual 2?

so is dual 2s or a single 4 better
It depends on the applications being used, as to whether or not they take advantage of both processors. As most run-of-the-mill applications don't, you probably won't see the benefit of dual processors but also, the architecture of the two different processors means that the Intel works in a different manner to the PowerPC anyway. Cycles per second (GHz) is irrelevant unless you are comparing like architectures. The Intel will process on a CISC basis (complex instruction set computing) and the PowerPC will process on a RISC basis (reduced instruction set computing). It's like trying to compare a petrol engine to a diesel engine. The diesel engine (RISC) will produce more power (computing performance) for less RPM (GHz) than the petrol, whereas the petrol (CISC) needs the higher RPM to produce its power. It's a bit of a basic analogy, but without going into the nitty-gritty of things, that is the easiest way to describe it.
is my friends windows witha 4ghz faster than my powermac dual 2?
That is based upon not only the hardware and architecture (dual RISC vs. single CISC), but also the operating system (Windows vs. OS X), so really, without running benchmarks there are too many variables to consider. Also you have to ask, faster at doing what ?? Photoshop (which makes use of dual processors), iTunes, ...it's all dependant on the application, running on the OS, which makes use of the I/O and computing hardware (processors,gfx,sound etc). The easiest way to find out is to actually benchmark the two machines with a benchmark testing utility, but this probably won't produce real world results. For me, the speed of a machine is only a part of it. The security, stability and ease of use are key factors too. I don't mind having to wait an extra 10 seconds for Photoshop to apply a complex filter, as my OS X machine never crashes and is virtually immune to viruses, spyware etc etc. Its six of one and half a dozen of the other I'm afraid. Where I lose out a little speed (using dual G4s), I will make this up by having less downtime due to re-boots, crashes, anti-virus,spyware and malware houskeeping activities, re-installs, etc etc. I can just use OS X without any of the aforementioned problems, so you could argue that the overall performance per se is all down to the OS rather than the hardware. I think OS X running on Intel should be quite good though... ;-)

definately a powerbook upgrade, hopefully a g5, but unlikley/

well nothing now...since we've no keynote. I was hoping for something...anything...