Zorgul

iBook G4 + wireless 802.11n

Hi!

I'd like to know if it is possible to upgrade the iBook G4 (2005 revision) to support 802.11n. I know the airport card in it does not support it. Is it possible to replace it with another card?

Thanks

Hi!

I'd like to know if it is possible to upgrade the iBook G4 (2005 revision) to support 802.11n. I know the airport card in it does not support it. Is it possible to replace it with another card?

Thanks

I nearly always use my wireless stuff for an Internet connection and rarely transfer files over Airport, so I have to look at where my bottleneck is. For me it's my cable modem. I usually get around 3-4Mbps average from RoadRunner so even if I did upgrade to using n on the PowerBook, it wouldn't make my cable modem any faster, hence I wouldn't see an increase worth upgrading to.

If you're doing a lot of file transfers or backing up to a network drive, then it may be worth it, but I don't do anything like that. I'm also not aware of any replacement cards for any of the PowerPC based Mac notebooks.

roog

You'll be looking at either a usb dongle (not sure if there are any with mac drivers out yet) or a wireless bridge. That may be your best bet since OS X will just think you're using the ethernet socket (no drivers required).

I head that using a g in a n network will slow down the device in the n network. It is the reason why i want to upgrade.

Yes, that's correct. It will slow down the whole network quite considerably.

There's some cool stuff there, Roogie, but I didn't see any N equipment. The powerline stuff sounds pretty interesting.

Zorgul, what do you have that is N?

There's some cool stuff there, Roogie, but I didn't see any N equipment. The powerline stuff sounds pretty interesting.

Zorgul, what do you have that is N?

iMac , Apple TV and my new Airport Extreme Base Station. For now my iMac + Apple TV have wired connection but since i have the new base station (got it this week), i'd like to switch everything wireless N. Removing the ethernet cable that goes to the living room from my bedroom (I live in a small apartment) would be nice.

Roogie, cool site for wireless!

BTW the Airport Extreme base station is way better than my old lynksys WRT54G (it would froze the wireless connection +- 2 time a week and i needed the unplug it everytime.)

Sorry, Zorgul, I should have paid more attention to your setup info.

Anyway, I think your N network only drops to G level while a G device is attached (I don't know that, but it seems to be what I remember reading).

So, even if you can't get N speed all the time, you should be able to restore it by turning off the Airport card on the G4 if you need N speed.

I really like my Extreme, too, but I haven't really noticed a speed difference. It seems to be the same as my Airport Express was. Of course, that may be because my Core Duo doesn't do N. I don't know and can't figure out how to find out. The System Profiler just says it's an Airport Extreme card with Broadcom firmware. Does anybody know if that's N or G?

It was only the Core 2 Duo machines (except the 17" iMac) that have 802.11n chips in. If it's an original Core Duo then Im afraid you're out of luck.

By the way, if you want to see if your wireless card is b, g or n open up Network Utility from your Applications / Utilities folder, select your airport card from the list (usually interface en1) and it'll tell you.

network_utility-20070820-123848.jpg

Thanks, Roogie and Graham. Good info.