JalenJade

Video Compression

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could help with compressing a video from 12GB down to 100Mb without the extreme quality loss that I seem to be experiencing. I'm limited to what programs I have or free alternatives, can't invest any more money in this project. (iMovie HD and Quicktime Pro are what I've been using.) I'm looking to try and keep it from being fuzzy and be a decent size for viewing on video sharing sites.

Thanks

Jalen

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could help with compressing a video from 12GB down to 100Mb without the extreme quality loss that I seem to be experiencing. I'm limited to what programs I have or free alternatives, can't invest any more money in this project. (iMovie HD and Quicktime Pro are what I've been using.) I'm looking to try and keep it from being fuzzy and be a decent size for viewing on video sharing sites.

Thanks

Jalen

try isquint. Your going to lose a lot of quality though. You are trying to go down in size a lot.

Hi all,

Thanks

Jalen

Have you tried Handbrake? I haven't personally used it, but I've heard that it is designed to squeeze video into iPod format, so I would imagine that the output would be quite a bit smaller than the original.

Handbrake will only rip from a DVD, DVD ISO, or Video_TS folder. If the file is already just a regular movie file then Handbrake wont work.

You can use FFmpegX, it is free, very powerful and customizable (abit too much so, though, it can be abit complicated.)

But just keep in mind, if your going from a 12gb file and trying to go down below 100mb, you ARE going to get noticeable quality loss. So no matter what tool your going to use, dont expect miracles.

I have to admit that my first reaction when I read this post was "good luck", but there you go. Anyway, I use MPEG Streamclip for my video conversion duties.

That was my pick as well, Graham (and my first reaction as well). I think if your source movie is 12 GB for 10 minutes (the YouTube limit for non-director video uploaders), there is something wrong with your iMovie HD video project. Even DV tapes only use 14 GB per hour, or 2,3 GB per 10 minutes. Typical 10 minute clips I have done were considerably less than 1 GB exported to 320 x 240 25 fps. Compressing that to 100 MB is quite feasible, with modest quality loss.

What format is the source video?

What format is the source video?

DV tapes. I've found a way around my problem by running some multi-pass encodings.

Thanks for the suggestions.

DV tapes. I've found a way around my problem by running some multi-pass encodings.

Thanks for the suggestions.

In that case you might want to try h.264 compression. However, keep the DV tapes if you will want to edit.