desertrose0601

Did you listen to podcasts before you owned an iPod?

Okay this is something I've been musing over, and would love to hear people's thoughts on this subject.

I heard this subject brought up recently on either this podcast or MacGeekGab (can't remember which). An observation was made that people (non-Mac, non-iPod people) generally equate podcasts with iPods, and therefore if they don't own an iPod, they think they can't listen to podcasts.

At the time I thought, "Well that's dumb. Of course you can listen to them on other things." And then I realize that even though I'm more tech-saavy than most people I know, I myself didn't really start listening to podcasts until I got an iPod, because without iTunes, the whole process is just a hassle.

I remember back about 5 years or so, I first discovered podcasts. I owned an ancient mp3 player - I can't even remember what brand - and I figured out how to download things via Podcast Alley. The thing about it though, was you had to do everything manually. You had to manually tell it to check for new episodes, then you had to find those files and manually tell my ancient-mp3-player software to add these episodes to the player. There was nothing automatic about it at all, and soon the novelty wore off and it was too much hassle to go through an a daily, or even weekly, basis.

So then about 6 months ago, I caved and bought my first Apple product: an iPod Nano. And suddenly... I'm listening to podcasts again. It was an instant 180. For me the ease of it all in the iTunes Store made podcasts fun again. Suddenly it wasn't a chore to synch them up with my player.

I can only imagine that a non-tech-saavy non-iPod-owning person would find podcasts even more awkward than I did to find and listen to without the ease of iTunes.

I was listening to Podcasts before they were podcasts. I was listening to and recording (using Audio Hijack) several online shows and online radio programs. Then, I found iPodderX and started collecting them AND putting them on my first gen iPod. It totally transformed my listening world. For me, it's the audio version of TiVo (a device I don't own but have something which does everything it does). I get to listen to what I want to, when I want to and have for several years.

That said, I am a VERY tech-savvy person and know a LOT of people who still don't do podcasts, including a planning group for a tech-centered conference.

Okay this is something I've been musing over, and would love to hear people's thoughts on this subject.

I heard this subject brought up recently on either this podcast or MacGeekGab (can't remember which). An observation was made that people (non-Mac, non-iPod people) generally equate podcasts with iPods, and therefore if they don't own an iPod, they think they can't listen to podcasts.

At the time I thought, "Well that's dumb. Of course you can listen to them on other things." And then I realize that even though I'm more tech-saavy than most people I know, I myself didn't really start listening to podcasts until I got an iPod, because without iTunes, the whole process is just a hassle.

I remember back about 5 years or so, I first discovered podcasts. I owned an ancient mp3 player - I can't even remember what brand - and I figured out how to download things via Podcast Alley. The thing about it though, was you had to do everything manually. You had to manually tell it to check for new episodes, then you had to find those files and manually tell my ancient-mp3-player software to add these episodes to the player. There was nothing automatic about it at all, and soon the novelty wore off and it was too much hassle to go through an a daily, or even weekly, basis.

So then about 6 months ago, I caved and bought my first Apple product: an iPod Nano. And suddenly... I'm listening to podcasts again. It was an instant 180. For me the ease of it all in the iTunes Store made podcasts fun again. Suddenly it wasn't a chore to synch them up with my player.

I can only imagine that a non-tech-saavy non-iPod-owning person would find podcasts even more awkward than I did to find and listen to without the ease of iTunes.

I wasn't, only because I had an iPod before I discovered Podcasts. I had discovered podcasts on accident. I'm not 100% sure how, but the first one I listened to was Off the Hook, by 2600. I've all but abandoned the podcast, it's not something I enjoy listening to now. I was using Digg at the time (not any more, if you want to know why, PM Me), and came across the Diggnation podcast, which mentioned Leo Laporte, and now, I listen to all of Leo's shows and a ton more. I think it's close to 40 now. But I had purchased an first Gen iPod mini for a trip in March of 2005, later that Summer I started listening to podcasts.

I sure did. I listened to them on my Treo using iPodder Lemon to download them.

I listened to lots of podcasts before I had an ipod and even now that I have an ipod I rarely listen to them using my ipod. I have always listened to them using itunes on a computer during work.

I started listening to podcasts using iTunes in June 2005. A while later, I bought an iRiver IFP 880 (128 MB) to record audio (but never produced a podcast, though) and to listen to podcasts. I bought my first iPod this year, and I'm glad I didn't buy an iPod earlier, because the iPod Shuffle 2G was a pain to use to listen to podcast. I now own a nano, but it is just marginally better than the iRiver MP3 player.

So I haven't found the ideal portable podcast player. IMHO it isn't going to be an iPod, because the iPod is all about commercial music and podcasts are only an afterthought by Apple. We really need better portable players to enjoy podcasts, something completely different from iPods. There shouldn't be the need to use a computer to interface with podcast feeds. That is much too kludgey.

I don't even really remember there being podcasts when I got one... I think this was like 2001/2002... were there podcasts then?

I don't even really remember there being podcasts when I got one... I think this was like 2001/2002... were there podcasts then?

My wife bought me my first generation iPod when it first came out and I got it for Christmas 2001. I never listened to any podcasts until I heard the MacCast in 2005, I never even listened to any audiobooks even though I signed up for an Audible account in 2004. I think it was much after that in 2006 that I even purchased one.

my_ipods.jpg

roog

As far as I can remember, podcasting with MP3 files as RSS enclosures started in September 2004, certainly not earlier. So I guess the topic starter either means something else when he uses the term podcast, or he is mistaken when he implies that podcasting would be reaching its 5 year incarnation (I think it is rather 3 years old). There were audio blogs you could download earlier, but certainly no podcast subscriptions, even not avant la lettre, like we know today. The concept of RSS feeds and the wide availability of broadband Internet access for podcast listeners are the main ingredients of the rise of podcasting, which didn't exist in 2002.

Um... Before my iPod died I listened to nothing but podcasts. Once it died I used my phone as my main portable media player and during that time my podlistening sunk. Then I discovered podlinez which allowed me to call a phone number to listen to a podcast. This led to a rebirth of podcast listening for me. Today my phone is still my main portable media player (it is an iPhone), but I no longer use podlinez. I just download and listen.

Did I listen to podcasts before I owned an iPod... No. I certainly owned an iPod before I listened to Podcasts. However, I'm a bit of an odd ball in that I usually don't place my downloaded Podcasts on my iPod. Most of my collection is kept on a personal computer I keep at work. Being that it is a family business I listen to various Podcasts throughout the day as well as music.

As far as I can remember, podcasting with MP3 files as RSS enclosures started in September 2004, certainly not earlier. So I guess the topic starter either means something else when he uses the term podcast, or he is mistaken when he implies that podcasting would be reaching its 5 year incarnation (I think it is rather 3 years old). There were audio blogs you could download earlier, but certainly no podcast subscriptions, even not avant la lettre, like we know today. The concept of RSS feeds and the wide availability of broadband Internet access for podcast listeners are the main ingredients of the rise of podcasting, which didn't exist in 2002.

You are very right. Wow! How time flies when you're not in school anymore! It feels like a long time ago, but I just did the math and it had to have been only about 2 years ago that I was first discovering podcasts. Sorry about that!

I listened to lots of podcasts before I had an ipod and even now that I have an ipod I rarely listen to them using my ipod. I have always listened to them using itunes on a computer during work.

I would love to work somewhere that let me listen to podcasts on the job! Lucky you. :)

Edited by desertrose0601

I only started listening to podcasts when I got my first iPod, and the first one I discovered was the Maccast :)

I would love to work somewhere that let me listen to podcasts on the job! Lucky you. :)

I am designer. Many people listen to music I usually listen to podcasts. I also watch lot's opf video podcasts. I just throw them down in the bottom right of my screen in a little window while I work.

Started listening right after iTunes started their Podcasting page and I have ever since.