weetzie

OpenSource Software/Features - Apple giving credit?

I'm working on converting my boyfriend to a Mac user, in addition to his use of Linux. His main gripe about Mac is that they use opensource things and don't give proper credit.

Current examples are spaces, but there have been other things used.

Now I can't imagine this is correct. I am not really looking to prove him wrong (learned my lesson!) but I would at least like to know if they are indeed giving credit.

I found the www.apple.com/opensource and http://developer.apple.com/opensource/index.html but none of that makes any sense to me... is this saying they do?

Apple does give credit for the Open Source applications they use / offer. Some of that is burried in the legalese. In the case of applications they offer on Apple.com/opensource, those links take you to the developers' websites. If that's not giving credit, plus some, I don't know what is.

Edited by mobilexile

If I was you I would give up on him and start dating a Mac, if thats perhaps a little extreme you could always send him a virus?

Seriously though, No software is "pedigree" and I'm sure Windows is just as bad so let the boy suffer ;-)

Edited by zionlion

If I was you I would give up on him and start dating a Mac, if thats perhaps a little extreme you could always send him a virus?

Seriously though, No software is "pedigree" and I'm sure Windows is just as bad so let the boy suffer ;-)

haha he avoids windows like the plague. he's a linux user. but yesterday he bought me an emac, and i decided i wanted to leave it at his apartment to use and that i would keep my macbook at my apartment.

so he hops on the emac, creates his own account, and doesn't leave the computer for hours. he then sends me an IM via Adium (I'm on the bed in the same room, mind you.) admitting that maybe he did like mac... a little bit. he's trying hard not to admit it. friday when i introduced him to the new GarageBand and he saw that he could play keyboard ON the keyboard, he admitted to "hating it a little less."

now at least we got him liking it, and not wanting to get off the emac.

I'm working on converting my boyfriend to a Mac user, in addition to his use of Linux.

In my opinion converting people is a bad practice, both in religion and in technology. If your friend is quite happy using Linux, let him be. If he has some prejudices against Apple, you might try to debunk those using facts, found on the Internet. This is a widely discussed subject, and there is a lot to be found, both in arguments and facts.

Why do companies like Apple and Microsoft do open source? Do they have a hidden agenda? Or do they have the best interest of their user base in mind? Well, don't be kid. The main concern of both Apple and Microsoft are not their customers, but their stock holders. In the case of Apple, innovation is good for both customers and stock holders. In the case of Microsoft, there is a slight discrepancy between what the stock holders want and what the customers want. So, in both companies the market dictates what they do with open source, because the stock holders are concerned with what other companies do, relative to the company they have stock in (either or both Apple and Microsoft). At the moment, it is smart to have some open source, because open source is believed to be the grand future of software development. If this proves to be true, is anyone's guess.

About open source software licensing, Apple uses the Berkeley Software Distribution (BSD) model for its open source projects, which is different from the GNU General Public License (GPL) that is used to license Linux and most Linux-based software. While GPL requires projects built on other GPL projects to be open source as well, this requirement is somewhat relaxed in other software licenses, such as BSD and Apache License, which allow closed source projects to be developed from open source projects. This is one of main arguments of Linux aficionados against companies like Apple using other software licensing constructions. However, software licensing is both a personal choice of the developer, as a strategic marketing consideration. Suppose Mac OS X were open source, how would Apple then prevent other companies to market Mac OS X?

All this knowledge (and more) can be gathered using Wikipedia and external references mentioned in the Wikipedia articles. Listening the the Technometria podcast with Phil Windley is also very useful if you're interesting in what goes on in the world of software development.

Now about ideas. In essences, ideas are free, only implementations of ideas can be protected. However, in recent years, the US patent office has been corrupted with software patenting. Many people think that software patenting is slowing down original thought and innovation. There are even companies whose sole means of income are based on litigation around software patents.

So software ideas should be free, and implementations of those ideas should only be patentable if they're not trivial or the only implementation possible. Unfortunately, the US patent office is severely understaffed, so this problem is not going away soon.

Then there is the spin of who had which idea, and who to credit for ideas. Because of the problem of software patents, it is hard to credit someone for an idea, if it's someone outside a company. If Apple did that, the software would not be patentable (prior art excludes any patents). In practice, the idea IS the implementation. This is also the reason why Apple doesn't want to hear your ideas of cool new features for Apple products. Once they have received those ideas, Apple can't patent those anymore (it is up to you, as the bearer of the original idea for a feature, to patent if, that is, if you have deep enough pockets to go through the entire patent procedure).

I hope this helps to explain why Apple can't credit someone else for Spaces.

And I'm pretty sure I have it wrong here and there, so don't rely on this post for your facts. Please, do your own fact finding.

^^ i kind of posted this because i tried to review facts on my own, but i didn't really understand, so i'm here to get clarification.

as far as converting goes, i said i would get him to use mac IN ADDITION to his use of linux. i'm not getting him to stop using linux, i just want to show him that mac is not as bad as he thought it was.

i never try to convert someone totally. i just show them some cool things on my mac and if they want a mac, they do it. i don't do anything more. i don't hate windows users or windows machines and i'm tolerant of people as long as they don't criticize me for not using a windows machine, right?

it only makes sense to me.

Well, software ideas and software licensing has become a battlefield. It is very hard to understand what is going on, because it involves so many aspects (patent law, software development, software licensing, historical facts, etc.). I hope I have given you a glimpse of what has been going on.

I now understand what you mean by converting, which I didn't do before you explained it in your reply. Still, I think the need to include the Mac has to come from him. If he only tries to find arguments not to use a Mac or Mac OS X, why bother risking your friendship?

The best way to "convert" someone to a Mac seems to be to lend him a Mac for a few weeks and after that period to try to get it back. You will get arguments with your friend, because he doesn't want to give it back. What better way to convert someone the to "light side". ;)

haha well... he bought ME the emac, and then after playing on it for a few hours, he asked if he could hang onto it for a few weeks :P that's when i just decided to let him keep it at the apartment so he could get as much use with it as he wanted and maybe change his mind about mac.

his reasons for why mac is bad is really just to get on my nerves ;) he secretly likes it... i know he does. he's just being difficult. the differences won't hurt our relationship. i do like linux too, i'm just more comfortable with mac.