Sign in to follow this  
Kosmos

What to do with a perfectly good G5?

Greetings! I am in need of some advice. I currently use a iMac G5 desktop and I have found that it doesn’t fit my lifestyle, by any means. I switched from a Dell Laptop to this desktop a couple years ago, and have since learned that I need the portability of a laptop. I have decided to buy a laptop, but what should I do with this desktop? I don't have a lot of cash (I'm a college student) but I don't feel comfortable selling it. Also, I don't have a need for two computers. Perhaps plug it into my HDTV and use it to watch iTunes? Even though I prefer not to sell it, I have thought about putting it on Craigslist for $700. This all sounds like a tangent, but I would like to get some of your thoughts on this topic. Below are the specks on my G5. Thank you in advance for any advice you may have.

Machine Name: iMac G5

Machine Model: PowerMac8,2

CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.0)

Number Of CPUs: 1

CPU Speed: 1.8 GHz

L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB

Memory: 1.5 GB

Bus Speed: 600 MHz

Being a poor student myself (well, poor ex-student - now I have the fun of paying all my debts off), I'd sell it. If you did manage to get $700 for it (which I doubt since you can get the new iMac for $1199 - you're probably looking more at $500-$600) you'd be most of the way there to getting a macbook. I wish I'd got a macbook instead of my macbook pro for uni, it would have been the perfect machine. Although now I'd glad I went for the macbook pro now I've started working, but that's a different topic entirely.

@Graham I will trade my MacBook for your pro any day of the week :P

One thing you could try to do is make your iMac a web server and try to sell space on it. That way you can keep it, and make some money.

Craigslist or eBay. I just upgraded from an G5 iMac to one of the new ones and that's where my G5 is going.

If you really want something to plug into your HDTV then sell the G5 and buy a used Mac Mini or AppleTV...it's much lower profile and you'll still end up with some cash in your pocket.

Craig

Edited by Craig