ahazlett

Entourage vs. Mail, iCal, Adress Book

Thank you in advance for your help. I am a recent switcher from a PC to a MBP. I'm very excited. I've been on the fence for several years and finally made the leap. I couldn't be happier.

Quick questions about email apps. I've used Outlook for a long time and I'd say I'm more than a part-time user. I use many of the deeper features that Outlook has to offer. My displeasure with MS is the primary reason for switching to mac, however, I feel that Outlook is one piece of software that they've done right (other than it's huge memory usage). I use the calendar, addressbook and email features heavily and often interlink them all. Please give me opinions on using entourage vs the mac suite of three products. Which software is more robust? Which is more user friendly? and what are some pros and cons of each? Thanks again

The impression I get from iCal, Address Book and Mail is that they are on the surface fairly basic. There is some really deep things you can do with them, and they integrate well together, but they are mostly streamlined applications.

The impression I get from Entourage is that its crap. Firstly, its not universal, so its automatically slower then it should be, the interface is different enough between real Outlook that its annoying to use, Im certain alot of the deeper features from Outlook arent available or are only shells of their counterpart. Of course cause its basically outlook, some stuff is familiar (like it being a complete pain with imap).

And it looks, at best, jank.

imo, Microsoft cant make decent Mac software (like the remote desktop client, god i hate the remote desktop client.), or they just havent for a long time (nothing is universal, everythings outdated, or not supported on 10.4).

My suggestion, try and use the built in apps (or thunderbird for mail if you prefer.) learn them and how they work together, until such time as Office 2008 comes out in January (allegedly), and you can consider it then.

Welcome to the forum and to the Mac,

I've been using Office for Mac since 98 and tend to avoid Entourage. It's definitely not Outlook. I don't think it sucks, it's just not very Mac-like. I think the Mac equivalents will do what it does, but I really haven't tried to integrate them the way Outlook's features work. The thing about Outlook for me is that no matter how good I get at using it, almost nobody else in the enterprise really uses it much so lots of my ideas for collaboration don't go anywhere.

The Mac equivalents work well together. They just aren't one program. From a Mac perspective, Outlook is kinda old school Netscape. The Mac uses independent apps that work together rather than one big app. It takes getting used to.

I thought Entourage was nasty. I tried it for a few days when I first switched, but I soon went over to Mail. The way the three apps are integrated with each other (as well as the rest of the OS) is really, really nice.

I used Entourage for years. Then I had my head examined. Now I use Apple Mail w iCal and it suits my needs nicely.

I used Entourage for years. Then I had my head examined. Now I use Apple Mail w iCal and it suits my needs nicely.

Entourage can be used as a transition from outlook to leopard-mail (with integrated to do/calender and collaboration). There are some caveats:

entourage doesn't integrate with MAC only with office;

entourage is powerpc hence slow

and the biggest NO NO: entourage uses one JET engine dabase to store the information with a frigging data limit of 4 GB.

The pro is:

Entourage makes it easier to export messages to filemaker pro, mail is not the first choice there and far from easy to do, I have used "Mail to Filemaker Importer" but have found it very awkward to use: it crashes both the FMPro database as itself when you have over 250 messages to transfer.

Entourage has newsgroup incorporated, mail has not, and as is the expectation, will not have in the next version.

Entourage mailboxes use the standard mbox format where as mail use some proprietary format emlx.

Entourage let you use a calander, but on the mac it has no connection to any workgroup functionality (neither has Mail or iCal for that matter)

So whether to use it or not is a personal decision:

if you like it use it (it is part of the obligatory office suite) [the expected office 2008 suite will lack VBA and the applecriptability remains to be seen.]

Give them a try and see what product is more to your liking, all solutions have their pros and cons.

HTH

Rob

FWIW, I used Entourage for years. I was familiar with it. It had a little more power than Mail in some areas, and integrated with MS Word,... but I kept giving tutorials to people who needed to rebuild or recover Entourage's monolithic database, which will corrupt itself from time to time, doesn't sync well with other computers, and needs to be backed up in it's entirety even if only one new message was added.

I finally moved to Mail 2+ years ago. At first it was a transition experience as I unlearned Entourage. But since getting over that, I haven't regretted the transition. It integrates well with Apple's other software, including .Mac, and I no longer have to worry whether Entourage is compatible with Apple's latest OS update or whether Microsoft will support Apple's latest enhancements (it was years waiting for Entourage to support Spotlight searches of its content.) Apple makes it all work together, and if you swallow the whole pill, your life gets easier not having to keep MS software working with OS X.

I might think twice if I still had to interoperate with MS Exchange for mail, but I was never that impressed with how Entourage worked with Exchange, either.

Edited by car1son

I switched to in Feb 07. I opened entourage once and immediately did not like what I saw, closed it and haven't looked back. I like the ease of mail at home. Some will say mail does not meet their needs. I have not run into that.

I switched to in Feb 07. I opened entourage once and immediately did not like what I saw, closed it and haven't looked back. I like the ease of mail at home. Some will say mail does not meet their needs. I have not run into that.

try to export mails in tab-separated fileformat, you will see that can be done using entourage but not using mail.

For me important enough to use entourage.

Rob