Dragon6

Switcher with iMac OS X Issue

One remark you made seems senseless: why would M.A. not allow filetransfer (accounts etc) from a bootable disk that is NOT firewire? The crux is it must be a bootable disk.

mac os x doesn't discriminate the underlying connection.

HTH

Rob

I don't know why, I'm just quoting Apple (see Using Migration Assistant to transfer files ) it says "Before using Migration Assistant, make sure that both computers have Mac OS X installed and that you have a FireWire cable to connect the two computers"

You can still do file transfers, you just can't use the MA (or, maybe you can and they just never updated the instructions).

I don't know why, I'm just quoting Apple (see Using Migration Assistant to transfer files ) it says "Before using Migration Assistant, make sure that both computers have Mac OS X installed and that you have a FireWire cable to connect the two computers"

You can still do file transfers, you just can't use the MA (or, maybe you can and they just never updated the instructions).

Yes, but that quote exists from the time before intel macs and bootability with USB 2.

I use MA ever since 10.1, and there were no intel macs available then.

The FW cable is needed however when you want to have 2 computers connected, one in target mode.

HTH

Rob

So, are you saying you have used MA with a USB 2.0 connected hard drive?

I agree that it might work now, but, I don't know that and I'd hate to have Dragon6 do a clean install and not be able to recover his information from his backup drive.

I know I can use MA but my external volumes are connected via Firewire. If you have a backup volume on a USB connection, would you please fire up MA and see if it will access the users files on the external? If it works, we can tell Apple to update the documentation.

So, are you saying you have used MA with a USB 2.0 connected hard drive?

I agree that it might work now, but, I don't know that and I'd hate to have Dragon6 do a clean install and not be able to recover his information from his backup drive.

I know I can use MA but my external volumes are connected via Firewire. If you have a backup volume on a USB connection, would you please fire up MA and see if it will access the users files on the external? If it works, we can tell Apple to update the documentation.

If you give me some time I will do as it is after midnight for me now - I will set a usb drive up tomorrow and do the trickery - otherwise I agree with you (dont do a clean install unless the result can be guaranteed).

I will come back on the topic asap

Rob

Thanks, cassiope.

Will wait to hear after you get some sleep.

Everyone. Thanks for the effort. I will check back first thing in the morning. I am backing everything up tonight on both external drives just in case.

If migration assistant doesn't work, what are the key files I need to transfer?

Can I install iTunes again, move iTunes library back along with key iTunes library files and then transfer other key files back to the internal drive? I know I would have to configure the user accounts and preferences again and then transfer safari and firefox bookmarks and preferences; mail preferences, email accounts and mail boxes; iCal databases; address book backup; and keychains. Should I wait to import keychain archives until after I reinstall all apps?

Afterwards should I do a clean backup?

Everyone. Thanks for the effort. I will check back first thing in the morning. I am backing everything up tonight on both external drives just in case.

If migration assistant doesn't work, what are the key files I need to transfer?

Can I install iTunes again, move iTunes library back along with key iTunes library files and then transfer other key files back to the internal drive? I know I would have to configure the user accounts and preferences again and then transfer safari and firefox bookmarks and preferences; mail preferences, email accounts and mail boxes; iCal databases; address book backup; and keychains. Should I wait to import keychain archives until after I reinstall all apps?

Afterwards should I do a clean backup?

I would recommend waiting a few days after your fresh reinstall before doing a complete backup (unless you have multiple hard drives and it sounds like you do). Always leave one hard drive for your previous state. Even though MA brings over a lot of stuff from your user folder, if you have other important data scattered across your hard drive, it may not bring that over. In that case, it's nice to be able to hook up your backup drive a browse around and find what you are missing. So if you have two extra drives, definitely make a new backup of your new setup after the reinstall, but also keep one older backup around.

Everyone,

I think my USB 2.0 drives were overheating. I had them stacked inside my desk and that was the cause of the eratic behavior. The program crashes seem to be associated with programs that were reading and writing to those drives, i.e. iTunes, iPhoto, Finder, Data Backup, etc. So I moved the drives onto the desk and found that they were more responsive and performance was much more stable so that problem has been solved. I also move my iTunes and iPhoto libraries back into my shared directory on my internal drive.

When I do a clean install, I plan on doing a secure erase first then installing the OS. Is there any benefit in partitioning the internal drive and putting data one of the partitions?

I also noticed that I do not have access to other user's directories in my backup. I am wondering if that would be a problem when I go to restore. I am assuming the backup has all the files but that I do not have permissions.

Can I log in as root to manipulate those folders if I have to do a manual restore?

This is not a shot at you, but, this isn't Windows. You don't really need to do a clean install if things are working now. I'm sure many will disagree with me here, but I only do clean installs as an absolute last resort. REALLY over time, I have had very few problems with my systems outside of the occasional software bug and hard drive failures (they all die eventually).

Personally, I only partition my externals so I can have a partition for my backup that's the size of my internals and have the rest of the drive as free space. That way, SuperDuper can do a full erase and copy every time. Mac OS sees the other partition as a separate drive.

Thinking back to when this thread started I started thinking about iPhoto and iTunes issues which could cause your problems rather than system issues. I think I distracted myself thinking about system/backup ideas and forgot to go back to possible root issues. For future reference, I've found that every iteration of iPhoto has some problems dealing with large collections, each version seems to get better at it but eventually it always seems to come back, for me anyway. I haven't seen that with iTunes but I do know I had more issues in iTunes when I, too, had my main Library on an external (just didn't have the space needed on my internal at the time).

Also, heat is probably the number one enemy of hard drives. I have a TiVo like device that was having major issues until I took the door off the shelf it's on and elevated it so air circulates around the unit. That reminds me I keep meaning to buy a little fan or two to stick by my externals.

Glad you found the cause and solved your problem. Thanks for bringing it to the forum and posting your results.

I agree,

only do a clean install if you need to get rid of errors in existing programs (.plists, libraries etc) other wise there is no absolute need for it.

The MA over USB is working by the way, I did it several times using two la cie big disks 500 GB using their usb connector to connect them.

It didn't matter whether the disk was connected through FW or USB.

But responding to your temperature-issues: most disks fail due to temperature-related errors. Locking any device however inside a closed space without good ventilation and cooling is asking for troubles. It is like stuffing all the holes in your computer and then wonder why you get kernel panics due to heat errors.

It can even ruin the disks totally (or the cpu's) because these cpu's and controllers are produced to function within (albeit not too small) distinct temperature values.

Rob

All,

Thanks so much for your advice and efforts.

One general remark about partitioning disks.

Since it is a software partitioning you are liabkle to losing data when one partition fails to be recognized or becomes inaccessible. It is something I only have done on unix systems because unix needs at least three partitions but I always did it with reluctance.

my 2 bits about partitioning

Rob

Thanks. And thanks for checking on migration assistant and USB 2.0.

Thanks. And thanks for checking on migration assistant and USB 2.0.

One tip is left to be made:

Use Onyx or Cocktail to set your startup to verbose, IF you will see these crashes they are announced on screen, and of course you can recheck them in your console log (/Applications/Utilities/console.app)

Verbose startup will show you all underpinning unix-things starting up before you actually get to the login window. It is quite illustrative and as said it also shows the reasons for panics.

HTH

Rob

One tip is left to be made:

Use Onyx or Cocktail to set your startup to verbose, IF you will see these crashes they are announced on screen, and of course you can recheck them in your console log (/Applications/Utilities/console.app)

Verbose startup will show you all underpinning unix-things starting up before you actually get to the login window. It is quite illustrative and as said it also shows the reasons for panics.

HTH

Rob

Thanks Cassiope.