Neil

What if your keyboard was predictive and auto correcting like the iPhone?

Think about this: Your iMac or MacBook(Pro) keyboard has the intelligence of the iPhone's keyboard. It knows that there are no words that are spelt "xat" and instead inserts "cat". I wouldn't want a touch-screen keyboard. But what if they put the iPhone's keyboard technology into Macs. It couldn't be that hard.

Sure there would be problems when you wanted to type something else. But as I type this post, I have probably used the backspace key quite a bit. I'm a fast typer, but fail when it comes to accuracy. What if the computer would fix my errors for me. It would be faster than spell check, as you don't have to go back with your mouse to highlighted words.

I suppose that Word's AutoCorrect is similar, but that isn't really the same thing. That is more about letters that are re-arranged. I'm sure some idiot could sit there and add corrections until the cows come home to match the iPhone keyboard.

But would anyone else find predictive keyboards a useful thing for desktops and laptops?

It is the application that does the spelling correction, not the hardware. The iPhone keyboard is only useful because the on-screen keyboard is so small. With a full-size keyboard it makes no sense. In fact, the iPhone keyboard is a kludge because of the lack of a full-sized external keyboard. Any skilled touch typist can out-type an iPhone typist, and have less typos while typing.

Edited by Ignoracious

And, lots of applications have type-ahead/auto-fill built in. To some extent, we already have it.

Pretty much anything should have user-defined options, including the iPhone.

And, lots of applications have type-ahead/auto-fill built in. To some extent, we already have it.

Pretty much anything should have user-defined options, including the iPhone.

MS Word for example will automatically correct words that are commonly mis-spelled