bilbo--baggins

Upgrading to Gigabit ethernet

The new Airport Extreme with gigabit ethernet ports has prompted me to consider upgrading my home network. Currently I have an ADSL router which has multiple 10/100 LAN ports - and this connects to 2 Macs (one is 10/100 and the other is gigabit), Airport Extreme (10/100 802.11n), printer and skype phone. The Extreme connects by 802.11n to my Apple TV.

Firstly - am I right in thinking that if I buy the new gigabit airport and instead of connecting everything to the router, I connect everything to a gigabit switch (and connect that to the router), then I will get gigabit speed between the Extreme and the gigabit Mac - and the rest will perform at 10/100 speed? Presumably any performance gains through the path of Gigabit Mac -> Gigabit Switch -> Gigabit Airport Extreme -> 802.11n -> Apple TV will only by minor? In the near future I'll be upgrading the 10/100 Mac to a newer one with Gigabit and that will presumably speed up filesharing considerably.

What difference would it make if (in the short term) I connected the Gigabit Mac to the Airport Extreme, and left everything else connected to the router (instead of buying a gigabit switch)?

I don't know the answer to your question, but I think your logic is correct. You plan to use cable rather than wireless to connect the Gigabet Mac, correct? Or, is the Mac an N machine?

I don't know the answer to your question, but I think your logic is correct. You plan to use cable rather than wireless to connect the Gigabet Mac, correct? Or, is the Mac an N machine?

The Mac that has gigabit doesn't have an airport card installed (and would only be 802.11g) so it connects by cable (I already have all Cat 6 cables).

could you make a picture of your proposed setup?

The new Airport Extreme with gigabit ethernet ports has prompted me to consider upgrading my home network. Currently I have an ADSL router which has multiple 10/100 LAN ports - and this connects to 2 Macs (one is 10/100 and the other is gigabit), Airport Extreme (10/100 802.11n), printer and skype phone. The Extreme connects by 802.11n to my Apple TV.

Firstly - am I right in thinking that if I buy the new gigabit airport and instead of connecting everything to the router, I connect everything to a gigabit switch (and connect that to the router), then I will get gigabit speed between the Extreme and the gigabit Mac - and the rest will perform at 10/100 speed? Presumably any performance gains through the path of Gigabit Mac -> Gigabit Switch -> Gigabit Airport Extreme -> 802.11n -> Apple TV will only by minor? In the near future I'll be upgrading the 10/100 Mac to a newer one with Gigabit and that will presumably speed up filesharing considerably.

What difference would it make if (in the short term) I connected the Gigabit Mac to the Airport Extreme, and left everything else connected to the router (instead of buying a gigabit switch)?

Until you use up all the ethernet ports on the airport extreme don't bother with a switch.

As to the apple tv performance - well you'll get slight improvement since 802.11n runs at a theoretical maximum of 300mbits/s but in practice it rarely gets that (more like 150 - 200 in my test with the previous generation of airport extreme (802.11n 10/100 model)).

So basically, until you have more than one mac that has gigabit ethernet there is absolutely no point changing your current network unless you're having poor performance with your apple tv (which would be the only node on the network to benefit at the moment).

[edit]Here's a quick diagram I did just to make sure I'm understanding your current network correctly (I'm a little hungover so I may have messed up!)

skitched-20070901-132922.jpg

Edited by Graham