Dragon6

3.5" SATA Firewire Enclosures

All,

I have two USB 2.0 WD My Book essential external hard drives: 1 320 GB and 1 500 GB. Their performance is horrible. The enternal drives are 3.5" SATA. I want to take them out and install them into 3.5" SATA firewire enclosures - preferably ones with firewire and USB 2.0 so I don't loose my firewire and can daisy chain them. I plan on using these for data storage and backup with my intel iMac Core 2 Duo. I was surprised at the lack of SATA enclosures and their prices.

I have looked at the following three.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20Wor...ng/MEFW924AL2K/

I like this one because of what it appears you get for your money. Same price as the newer tech ministack v3. I can store two non identical drives in one enclosure on my desk. OWC claims: OWC Mercury Elite Pro -AL RAID FW800 Drive Enclosure for 2 SATA Drives: Can be configured as Hardware RAID - 0 Stripe - for the fastest speeds Span, to use 2 non-identical SATA drives, or JBOD - 2 individual drives.

I have never used raid and am wondering if the JBOD setting treats each drive as a separate individual drive and if this has any impact on data rate performance.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20Wor...ng/MEFW924AL1K/

Not my top choice although this single drive enclosure is $10 cheaper.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Tec...ogy/FWU2ESMSV3/

Nice form factor. Has firewire and usb 2.0 hubs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

JBOD will treat both drives as 1 volume, it doesnt increase performance (and RAID 0s performance gain is marginal at best in almost every application), and both RAID 0 and JBOD have the caveat that if 1 drive fails, then all data in the array on both drives is lost.

You can however have it set to use each drive as an independent disk.

(Of course, they could be mincing terms. Sometimes manufacturers use JBOD to mean it creates one volume on a bunch of disks, other times that they use it to mean individual drives. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID...JBOD_or_SPAN.29 )

At any rate, it will work with either using it as 1 volume, with RAID 0 for matched disks, or non-RAID 0 for mismatched, or with Individual volumes for each drive in it.

Ok, I pulled the other hard drive and found out one is SATA and the other is EIDE. So I sold the EIDE and purchased the newertechnology ministack V3. I expect delivery this week. I will update the post after I have installed the SATA drive and used it.

Ok, I pulled the other hard drive and found out one is SATA and the other is EIDE. So I sold the EIDE and purchased the newertechnology ministack V3. I expect delivery this week. I will update the post after I have installed the SATA drive and used it.

looks like a good choice for now, and future. I might look into getting one, I have a 320GB hard drive sitting here doing nothing.

Edited by Webguy

OK. I did purchase the Newer Technology ministack v3. I have had it for a few months now and have been very happy with its performance. Data transfers have been very good and I can boot just as fast from it as I can my internal. One negative note, however. I purchased it from OWC with bundled software for an additional price. I already had backup software but wanted the speed tool utilities. Waste of money because it is not a fully licensed version but a crippled one that does not include updates. Some have commented about fan noise but I have not noticed it sitting next to my iMac. Installation was easy and it even includes a temp probe that provides temp data you can monitor using iStat Pro. Overall, though I have been very pleased.