zionlion

Apple Special Event, September 5, 2007 at 10:00 AM

beatgoeson.jpg

Apple late on Tuesday sent out invitations to select members of the media to attend a special event at the Moscone West venue in San Francisco on September 5, 2007 at 10:00 AM.

The invitation shows a silhouetted figure holding an iPod against a backlit sky, reminiscent of Apple’s recent iPod ads. The image itself is inset within a picture that looks like iTunes’ “Cover Flow” view, which shows album cover art.

At the top of the image it says “September 5” and at the bottom of the image, it says “The beat goes on.”

No further details have been provided by Apple about what the event will hold. Speculation has circulated in recent days that Apple would offer new iPod models at a September event, however — the iPod silhouette graphic in the invitation would seem to support this suggestion.

What would you like to see?

More than one non-american show on the UK iTunes Store!

More than one non-american show on the UK iTunes Store!

Do I sense some sarcasm ;-) They seem a little pricey, whats the USD on these shows? £20 for Greys Anatomy lol Taking the piss I think?

Edit: Just checked Amazon and Series 1 on DVD New £20.00.

Edited by zionlion

According to TUAW they cost $3.81. At least apple are thoughtful and have only got a load of crap on there, so I won't be wasting my money on tv shows!

The only way I can see me buying anything is if I missed it on TV - but that's what's bittorrent's for. I have no problem with downloading tv shows on bittorrent since I'll be buying the DVD when it comes out anyway. So, there's not a lot to get excited about on there for me.

And no, it wasn't sarcasm, it was plain old bitterness. I've no problem with american culture, but it pisses me off when a company totally disregards the culture of the market it's trading in - what is the point of having tv shows on the uk store when there's virtually no british content? If I could grab (for example) last week's episode of The IT Crowd, I'd actually pay for that.

Any news on what resolution the videos are? Are they still 640x480?

From what i can gather its still 640x480 crap'o'vision, nothing that interests me as all my American shows come from "other" sources and no I dont feel any shame! But I suppose for the average user the shows will be welcome.

The IT Crowd is a top show and we have a few more so whats the deal? More UK shows please.

Well there will obviously be at least one new iPod of some sort. But what kind? Will it be the touch screen version many were hoping for, or the fat/squatty images we've seen float around the past week?

I'm hoping for the touch screen, and I think that's what we'll see. Notice Cover Flow is in the invite, and you need a wide screen to pull off cover flow properly. That won't work on the current screens of iPods.

Im not sure we will see anything like the iPhone form factor in the 5.5/6gen iPod, it would be the death of the iPhone if Apple did this and at the moment they are raking in the money from all angles on this product. "Steal Factor"

The pictures of the so-called next gen nano are damn ugly and cant imagine that Apple would even design yet alone release such a thing of foulness.

My predictions will be:

1, Beatles catalogue on iTunes

2, New iPods with coverflow, not touch screen* Reasons given above, maybe bigger screen?

3, Perhaps an update on Leopard.

I think for many this announcement will be a disappointment, let us hope that they dont further "test" the patience of the tech press as they did last month.

Edited by zionlion

When it's at Moscone it's usually a big deal, so i'm hoping for the best. At the very least i'm looking for a new iPod with coverflow with the larger screen. Maybe widescreen but no touch features. It has to be something new. The iPods are so long in the tooth right now it's not even funny.

As well as new iPods I hink we will see the Beatles on iTunes after the rumors for the past zillion years, as the title they give on the invite says "The beat goes on" which was the final lin in the Beatles last press release.

"The eat[les] [go] on [iTunes!]" ;)

But of course there has to be more to it... I would bet on totally redesigned ipods that perhaps use a different method of user input and user interface which put the iPhone and iPod in separate markets. Apple has to keep their stronghold on the mp3 player market. They can't waste another year with a minor update of the ipod. But they don't want it to eat into their iPhone market.

Edited by kineticlegend

I hope they dont release that horrible stubby, fat ipod nano, If they do they must have hired Bill Gates to head the iPod design team.

I hope they dont release that horrible stubby, fat ipod nano, If they do they must have hired Bill Gates to head the iPod design team.

Apples new tag line for the Nano "Fat and Powerful", and they will get a cut from ever McDonalds meal ;-) Take that AT&T!