Sign in to follow this  
The Dead Herring

MacBook Internal Hard Drive Upgrade

Hey, it has recently come to my attention that my bank's online banking facility, for absolutely no apparent reason, requires a Windows PC running Internet Explorer to gain access. So it appears the time has come to install Windows on my MacBook.

However, my minute 60GB drive is barely large enough hold my home folder, let alone budging up to fit in another operating system.

I was wondering if any of you lot know of a computer hardware supplier in the UK that sells MacBook internal hard drives. I will pay whatever it costs, although going by US prices, I am anticipating a price of around £150 - £250.

Thanks,

Joe

Edited by The Dead Herring

Hey, it has recently come to my attention that my bank's online banking facility, for absolutely no apparent reason, requires a Windows PC running Internet Explorer to gain access. So it appears the time has come to install Windows on my MacBook.

However, my minute 60GB drive is barely large enough hold my home folder, let alone budging up to fit in another operating system.

I was wondering if any of you lot know of a computer hardware supplier in the UK that sells MacBook internal hard drives. I will pay whatever it costs, although going by US prices, I am anticipating a price of around £150 - £250.

Thanks,

Joe

Have you tried masking your browser's identity to show up as Internet Explorer? I've seen this done with all the browsers, Safari through Camino, and it basically makes the server it's accessing believe that Internet Explorer is trying to access the page rather than Safari. This page explains a command line of doing it. This page deals with more ways to handle it. Try this before committing to so much money and running Windows (try to avoid it unless you absolutely need it). ;)

I have to say that worked perfectly with all banks' services I tried. The fact that this works really does prove that for absolutely no reason other than laziness, do they not support the OSX platform. On one bank, Nationwide, it even said "you must use a Windows system", this work around proved that statement to be an outright lie. They simply have not tested it, so they assume it is incompatible. Which makes me even more angry than before...

Are they totally ignorant of customers needs? Do they not realize that even amongst a user base of, say 500,000 people, around 75,000 of those people will be using OSX, and will not have constant access to a Windows PC?

P.S: Im still in the market for a Hard Disk upgrade so if you know of any places I could get one I would much appreciate it, thanks.

They're just standard laptop drives. The only thing special you need is a Torx T9 screwdriver to take the drive out of it's caddy and put the new drive in there, and a drive enclosure so you can transfer your data over. Just looking quickly on Ebuyer a 120Gb WD drive can be picked up for about 55 quid.

Wish it was so easy to upgrade the hard drive on a macbook pro. When I fill this up it looks like its going to have to go into apple - I don't particularly fancy trying to get all its guts back in...

I've seen macbook drives for sale in the US, if I could purchase one of those in the UK, would I be able to just duplicate my installation with all my data, then somehow claim it back from the external drive once I have the new disc in?

How would the transfer work?

You just need to buy a SATA laptop hard drive, then once you get it, Download SuperDuper!, Put the new hard drive in an external enclosure or sata->usb2 or firewire adapter (you can get them for like $10 US), open Disk Utility and format the new hard drive as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), clone your hard drive to the new one with SuperDuper!, then replace the drive. When you boot up it should be just like nothing changed except you have more space.

Edited by ithonicfury

They're just standard laptop drives. The only thing special you need is a Torx T9 screwdriver to take the drive out of it's caddy and put the new drive in there, and a drive enclosure so you can transfer your data over. Just looking quickly on Ebuyer a 120Gb WD drive can be picked up for about 55 quid.

Wish it was so easy to upgrade the hard drive on a macbook pro. When I fill this up it looks like its going to have to go into apple - I don't particularly fancy trying to get all its guts back in...

Depending on how brave you feel, I've been able to upgrade my hard drive on my Macbook Pro. It's really not that bad if you go to places that show you pictures of how to disect the machine. I would recommend doing it yourself if you feel comfortable with working with hardware. It's really not too bad. Just be careful and steady, pretty straight forward process in all.

I have to say that worked perfectly with all banks' services I tried. The fact that this works really does prove that for absolutely no reason other than laziness, do they not support the OSX platform. On one bank, Nationwide, it even said "you must use a Windows system", this work around proved that statement to be an outright lie. They simply have not tested it, so they assume it is incompatible. Which makes me even more angry than before...

Are they totally ignorant of customers needs? Do they not realize that even amongst a user base of, say 500,000 people, around 75,000 of those people will be using OSX, and will not have constant access to a Windows PC?

I know how you feel hear. My school, University of Louisville, makes all students pay a fee for this software that all students can then download from the school. However, all requirements are for Windows. So I'm paying $25 a year for software I can't use. I don't like the Mac OS X neglect in some places, but I'm happy you found this workaround to work for you. At least it was web-based stuff and not a standalone application that would really require Windows.

I've got three years of apple care, so I don't really fancy voiding my warranty and wasting the £200+ it cost. If apple decide to charge the earth when the time comes, we've got quite a few resellers around here who are authorised service type chappies, so they'll do it for a bit cheaper.

[edited to fix a dumb typo]

Edited by Graham

I've got three years of apple care, so I don't really fancy voiding my warrantee and wasting the £200+ it cost. If apple decide to charge the earth when the time comes, we've got quite a few resellers around here who are authorised service type chappies, so they'll do it for a bit cheaper.

Very understandable. I have Applecare on mine and replaced it too. Do you think my Applecare warranty is now void if they find out about my hard drive change?

I know it is. The only user serviceable part on the MBP is the memory. Everything else needs to be done by an apple certified engineer.

Research on Amazon and Play.com has revealed many possibilities in regards to 2.5" Notebook drives.

Firstly, from Amazon, this one interests me...

Link

I presume I would need to purchase an enclosure, which are also available on Amazon.

This one, which I prefer, from play.com..

Link

However, I notice that this drive does not claim to be SATA2. In system profiler, I have learnt the drive that shipped with my MacBook is SATA2, is this significant? Will a regular SATA drive still work?

I presume I would need to purchase an enclosure, which are also available on Amazon.

I would recommend buying an external enclosure too. You can use it for the transfer process (putting your information on your new drive) and then, once you have the old drive out, you can use it for additional storage with your old drive in there. Great use of it, that's how I use my old Macbook Pro drive.

You just need to buy a SATA laptop hard drive, then once you get it, Download SuperDuper!, Put the new hard drive in an external enclosure or sata->usb2 or firewire adapter (you can get them for like $10 US), open Disk Utility and format the new hard drive as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), clone your hard drive to the new one with SuperDuper!, then replace the drive. When you boot up it should be just like nothing changed except you have more space.

Also, to add to this suggestion, you may run into the problem of your Macbook not recognizing the new drive as it's default boot drive. If this occurs, simply go into your System Preferences -> Startup Disk. Then select your new hard drive that you just put in and hit "Restart". On the restart, your new drive is now setup as your default boot drive. If you don't do this, it'll still eventually boot from your new drive, just takes a bit longer. I ran into this problem when I upgraded my drive on my MBP. Easy fix though. Good luck.

Still, would it matter that a drive is not SATA2. Is there a difference between SATA, and SATA2?

Still, would it matter that a drive is not SATA2. Is there a difference between SATA, and SATA2?

I don't know how reliable the source is, but this page claims you cannot hook a SATA2 into a SATA port. The difference, is that SATA2 runs at 3.0 Gb/s whilst SATA runs at a slower speed. Either way, I believe that SATA2 would not work in your Macbook. But, if no one else can shed any light to this, I'd order a SATA drive just to be on the safe side. We know that this one will work, whereas we are not sure about the SATA2. I'd love to hear if anyone else can chime in on this though. It'd be something to know for future reference.

Actually, in an earlier post, I explained that disk utility showed that mycurrent drive is SATA2, not SATA. So I should really stick to the SATA2 drive.

One thing I must ask, the SATA2 drive on Amazon is only 5200 rpm, whereas my current drive 5400, would this create a noticeable difference in performance? Also, I notice that this drive has no manufacturer attributed to it, Amazon merely lists it as "generic" should I stay away from this and look for more well known brand like Hitachi, Fujitsu, or Toshiba?

I'd stick to a known brand. The loss in speed shouldn't make too much difference, since the density of the data will increase (ie you're squeezing more data onto the same space, so less spinning is required).

Actually, in an earlier post, I explained that disk utility showed that mycurrent drive is SATA2, not SATA. So I should really stick to the SATA2 drive.

One thing I must ask, the SATA2 drive on Amazon is only 5200 rpm, whereas my current drive 5400, would this create a noticeable difference in performance? Also, I notice that this drive has no manufacturer attributed to it, Amazon merely lists it as "generic" should I stay away from this and look for more well known brand like Hitachi, Fujitsu, or Toshiba?

Sorry I guessed I missed that. Definitely stick to the same kind that's in there (must be SATA2 on the newer stuff, my 1st gen MBP lists SATA1).

I agree with Graham, definitely stick with known names. It's like buying off-brand food from the store. Sure it's edible, but it's not the same. I'm sure this drive would work, probably wouldn't be as quality though.