cmeisenzahl

What's the word on temps & smcFanControl? ...

Is this considered safe to use? Will it cause notable premature wear on the fans? Or is the jury still out?

http://homepage.mac.com/holtmann/eidac/sof...rol2/index.html

Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

I've used this program along with this one. I like the latter one because it acts as a preference pane, whilst the SMCFanControl program runs as a standalone application. While using these, I don't run it at too high of a speed. I've used it for over a year now and I've never had a problem with mine (although I might be the exception and not the rule). I would suggest trying it out. If all else fails, your fans will probably just wear out a little sooner and if you have AppleCare you can probably get the fans replaced. Anyways, this is just my opinion. Others, please chip in and give your opinion.

Well, the only downside is that your fans will wear out quicker since you're using them more. They don't let your fans run slower than they need to, so the guts of your system won't overheat.

No too sure if AppleCare will cover the replacement of the fans though. If you get rid of all traces of the software and keep your mouth shut I guess there isn't much they can do, but if the software's still on there (or if you leave a preference file lurking) they may say that you've not been using the computer in the manner intended and therefore not covered under applecare.

It seems pertinent to ascertain what computer is being used.

If it's a G5, heat was always an issue. I haven't heard the same about the Intel Macs so I don't know if it's even needed.

If it's a laptop, I don't know if increased fan speed will really dissipate heat sufficiently anyway. I'd be prone to get one of the external heat solutions (cool pad, fan stand, etc) rather than rely on the internal fans.

Just thoughts, not strongly advocated positions.

I agree. I found that my macbook pro was getting rather toasty and tried smc fan control for a while - but I found that simply using my iLap turned out to be a better solution. It runs at about 55 degrees C usually (that's the cpu, the bottom enclosure sensor says about 30 on the whole) and of course you don't get the feeling like a 747 is parked underneath your mac...

Good info, thanks guys!

So, what Mac do you have?