buckdog

Broken iBook G4 Screen

I have a friend whose iBook G4 screen just broke. He dropped the computer (opps).

Anyhow, what would you suggest as to getting it fixed. I looked up some services online, and they all seemed to be really expensive, like above $300.

What repair services have you used, and how hard would this be to do myself?

After my iBook G3's motherboard broke, I took the computer apart and it was a task, I ended up ripping off some of the metal shielding because it was screwed in so tight. I might have taken apart much more than I needed to for just the screen.

Does anybody have a success/horror story about screen replacement?

Thanks!

I've removed and reattached the screen on my iBook G4 with total success. All you need to do is get the base apart and expose the screws for the screen hinge, after that there are only a few wire connections to the screen. What I'd suggest is either visiting McDonalds and getting those ketchup cups or using an ice cube tray to separate out all of the screws and keep them sorted. I usually put a little note in the section telling what the screws were used for.

I actually have a screen for a 14.1" iBook G4 sitting around (I think) if that's what you need I could sell it to you at a low price since I have no use for it since my logic board died on my iBook. Let me know.

-Tom

I've removed and reattached the screen on my iBook G4 with total success. All you need to do is get the base apart and expose the screws for the screen hinge, after that there are only a few wire connections to the screen. What I'd suggest is either visiting McDonalds and getting those ketchup cups or using an ice cube tray to separate out all of the screws and keep them sorted. I usually put a little note in the section telling what the screws were used for.

I actually have a screen for a 14.1" iBook G4 sitting around (I think) if that's what you need I could sell it to you at a low price since I have no use for it since my logic board died on my iBook. Let me know.

-Tom

If the previous poster doesn't want your screen, I have a friend with a broken 14" iBook 1GHZ screen and a limited budget. If it's still available please send price to bigpics@hotmail.com Edited by Bigpics

I talked to my friend and he's interested. What kind of pricing are you thinking about? Something around $150 would work well.

Thanks!

-Tom

Let me find the screen, it may be a week or so as I'm really busy right now, if I can locate it and it's in good condition still we'll talk prices then. $150 sounds good.

-Tom