Sign in to follow this  
smc935

USB hard drive on Airport Express?

I have a Netgear wireless router attached to me cable modem. Works great. I want to be able to wirelessly run a hard drive and printer.

I see on the apple web site the Airport Express will allow USB attachment of a printer to be a print server.

My first question - instead of a printer can I hook up my external hard drive and have it become a network drive?

Second question - can I attach my 4 port powered USB switch and have it run both?

I don't want to fork over the extra $$ for Extreme since my router works fine. If this Express will solve my problem I'm interested.

Thanks

I have a Netgear wireless router attached to me cable modem. Works great. I want to be able to wirelessly run a hard drive and printer.

I see on the apple web site the Airport Express will allow USB attachment of a printer to be a print server.

My first question - instead of a printer can I hook up my external hard drive and have it become a network drive?

Second question - can I attach my 4 port powered USB switch and have it run both?

I don't want to fork over the extra $$ for Extreme since my router works fine. If this Express will solve my problem I'm interested.

Thanks

AFAIK, the Airport Express will only run a printer. I know the new Airport Extreme will allow the use of an external hard drive and the USB hub works with it, however, I have not heard of anyone getting an external USB drive working on the Airport Extreme.

I have both. The Express will only allow network printer access, not hard drive. The Express is a much more basic device than the Extreme. I'm sure, at least part of the price difference.

Here's a quick run down of the differences between the two devices:

Express: 802.11 b / g wireless networking (up to 54mbit/s), 10/100 ethernet port, can attach a printer, can attach speakers for AirTunes.

Extreme: 802.11 a / b / g / draft n networking (up to 300mbit/s), 4 x 10/100/1000 ethernet ports, can attach a printer OR a hard drive (or any combination of the two using usb hub).

I have both (just use the express for airtunes) and the extreme is well worth the money - even though I have the 'older' model that doesn't have gigabit ethernet. I have two usb drives hooked up to it with a hub (would have my printer hooked up, but its not supported).

In short, if you want to hook up a hard drive, you're going to need the extreme.