Sign in to follow this  
Punk Mac Geek

hopefully steve doesnt see this !!! lol

alright probally not the best palce to put this but i know some of you guys use a windows xp machiene and i need to get onbe for a couple of clases im taking and for some apps my parents need and i know nothing about what brands are good (cept alienware and i kno i cant get that cause i acidently said it was built for games lol) so plz some suggestions thx

The Off Topic forum might be a better place for this.

oooh sore topic. But, like a lot of people, I'm forced to use the XP at work, so that's where I spend a lot of my time, unfortunately. We use Dells here, and they seem to work pretty well. If you're not using it a lot, and don't really care, go for the cheapest.

Dell is really good, and so is HP or Compaq (same guys)

All three won't steer you the wrong way if you pay alot of attention to what you're buying. If you have anymore questions e-mail me at SkaGoat@gmail.com.

I'm fairly knowledgable when it comes to Windows PCs so I will try to help :)

Dell and HP/Compaq are the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry of the PC industry...

do you like hondas and toyotas????? ause i know some ppl rally love them and think they are awesome cars

What I meant is they're not really fancy and not particularly fast, but they are reliable and get the job done.

I have a small army of Dells that I support (600+) and a few hundred HPs.

For laptops, I like Dells. We had a few problems with the HP NX9010 laptops. The problems were resolved, but not to my satisfaction.

For desktops, Dell or HP are fine. I would avoid the cheapest of each brand, or any brand. Truely low end PCs seem to make their way to our support desk (er, mine) more often. You get what you pay for.

yes we now have an insider to help us disable their armies when we invade, excellent(lighting strikes) lol

It pays the bills, which is all that matters. A classmate of mine in college said that he'd not take a job with a firm unless they were an all Linux shop. I'm working, he's not found a job in IT. I had him work with me for a bit, the first thing he said was "you need to get rid of that netware sh** and go all Linux!". Yeah, I don't think we're going to migrate 1500 servers.

I'll be home on Friday, so I'll give the mini a workout then.

do you like hondas and toyotas????? ause i know some ppl rally love them and think they are awesome cars

Toyata is pretty reliable over all. Dependable but a bit boring to drive. Kinda like Dell. I have use Dell everyday at work and rarely anything fail on me. I'm a system admin and I delt with Dell support for a lot of issues. Consides the amount of systems we had purchased thousands and thousands of Optiplex only a very small batch may have problems. I can't speak for the Dimension series since they home requirement is a bit lax. But the company will definately back it up. HP/Compaq laptop was pretty lousy and we went with Dell. Desktop seems to be okay and their support is decent too.

It pays the bills, which is all that matters. A classmate of mine in college said that he'd not take a job with a firm unless they were an all Linux shop. I'm working, he's not found a job in IT. I had him work with me for a bit, the first thing he said was "you need to get rid of that netware sh** and go all Linux!". Yeah, I don't think we're going to migrate 1500 servers.

I'll be home on Friday, so I'll give the mini a workout then.

Hate to say this but I think your friend is delusional. But then again I'm surprise to see there are 1500 Netware server in one firm. Most companies that I know have already moved on to NT/XP servers.

btw sry for the horrible spelling on my other post, i had just woken up at like 5 am(the one before the last one)

1500 netware servers? wtf?

I ran the entire corporate enterprise network for Black and Decker with 6 Novell servers, 5 Windows NT servers, 10 Windows 2000 servers, 3 HP-UX servers, 2 Unisys servers, and 1 Linux server.

That included locations in CT, AK, FL, Mexico, and Hong Kong.

Hate to say this but I think your friend is delusional. But then again I'm surprise to see there are 1500 Netware server in one firm. Most companies that I know have already moved on to NT/XP servers.

Delusional is an understatement. :D

1500 of 'em, one of the largest NW networks in the world. I love it, easy to manage and we've not had any security issues.

wut about HP are they any good?

A guy that I work with has a 17" HP and it is a nice looking laptop. I have not used it much. I have a Dell Inspiron 8500. My wife has the Dell Inspiron 6000 and she loves it. I would probably get another one of those if I was buying a laptop now.

I have a Compaq, and the customer support is great. I used to have an HP, and since they're business partners, both have the same website. Just when you get one, don't buy anything Celeron. It's the lowest end processor Intel makes, and it's the same price as a good AMD. :D

I have a Compaq, and the customer support is great. I used to have an HP, and since they're business partners, both have the same website. Just when you get one, don't buy anything Celeron. It's the lowest end processor Intel makes, and it's the same price as a good AMD. :D

Compaq and HP aren't partners. HP owns Compaq literally. Haven't you notice all the Compaq iPAQ has been rename to HP few years ago already.

Come to think it why is Compaq iPAQ and Apple IPod didn't get into a lawsuit?

i hate Dells cause they're cheap and gay

Come to think it why is Compaq iPAQ and Apple IPod didn't get into a lawsuit?

Because iPAQ was around before iPod and Apple knows that... HP doesn't care who uses the name.

I've had the worst experiences with Dell, specifically when all of their customer support was offshore. I've heard this has changed, if so, they're great on value for your money. If support is still offshore, don't bother unless you plan on never calling them.

I've had the worst experiences with Dell, specifically when all of their customer support was offshore. I've heard this has changed, if so, they're great on value for your money. If support is still offshore, don't bother unless you plan on never calling them.

Dell's customer support for businesses is back in the U.S., but its consumer based support is still offshore.

I had to call them once for my girlfriend's PC. Unfortunately I don't speak Indian, and they didn't speak very good English... Don't buy a dell. Get a geek friend to knock up a home built one for you. It'll probably work out quite a bit cheaper if you don't need a top end one.