idlehand326

iPod Touch Add-ons

I reserved my 16GB iPod Touch by purchasing off of Amazon.com today. After reading about all of its abilities (and limitations) I decided I wanted to list off a few things I would like to see in future updates or add-on releases:

Mail Application

Apple Mail Lite or Thunderbird Lite?

Better Browser

Firefox Lite?

Bluetooth (http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/06/does-apples-ipod-touch-have-bluetooth)

To connect to a cell phone (maybe even to dial out or wireless broadband) or GPS

GPS Capibilities

So I can toss my Dell Axim X3's cheap Pharos GPS! wink.gif

Now the only question I have about the iPod Touch (if anyone would know, yet) is if I can pull up the wireless Mac Address information? My reason for asking is because I setup the wi-fi in my home and at work to enable MAC Address filtering to keep out the fools who shouldn't be in there (because WEP and WPA aren't compatible with some other wireless devices I own).

Edited by idlehand326

Now the only question I have about the iPod Touch (if anyone would know, yet) is if I can pull up the wireless Mac Address information? My reason for asking is because I setup the wi-fi in my home and at work to enable MAC Address filtering to keep out the fools who shouldn't be in there (because WEP and WPA aren't compatible with some other wireless devices I own).

On the iPhone, if you go to settings>about, there is a "WiFi" address listed there. Its the same as a MAC address except it has a different name. I had the same question as you so I asked a friend with an iPhone about it and he showed me where to find the address on his iPhone, so I assume its the same on a iPod touch

Edited by Mr. Mac

Not that I have an iPod Touch or an iPhone (grrrr), on all of my apple things with a network connection they give the mac address on a sticker on the box - although in apple's infinite wisdom they've decided to rename it to the AirPort ID.

Within days of the ship date it will no doubt be totally hacked, likely with the ability to import iPhone apps such as mail, notes, maps, etc.

You guys think that they'll have widgets that you can download for this? I mean they have rooom on the main screen for more... I'd really like to see Text Editor on there or Stickies... Something to take quick notes with you know...

I would like to see

To do - sync with mail in leopard

Note - sync with mail in leopard

Mail - sync with leopard

With these i think this would make this a great PDA, with out a phone,

I think these will be announced with the launch of leopard in Oct very closed to the sept 28th launch date!

What I can say is that the iPod Touch, while very very cool, just isn't enough as it is to make me want to buy one. As it stands it's just another ipod with a slightly larger screen and a web browser. Very cool, but not cool enough to make me drop my 5th gen iPod for something with 1/4 the storage.

Now, if I can use an Ipod touch as a PDA, I'm sold. But as it stands, you can't modify calendar and address book items on the iPod touch unless it has wireless access somewhere. I'd also like to be able to look at .doc and .xls files, or better yet be able to modify them.

i know, I know, but some of us have to use M$ Office and don't ahve a lot of choice there.

It still surprises me the number of people who think apple are going to add on features like mail and notes to the ipod touch. They make more money from the iPhone, so why aren't they going to try to encourage you to buy that one? Apple fanboys (and I'm including myself in that one) seem to forget that apple is a business not a charity.

It still surprises me the number of people who think apple are going to add on features like mail and notes to the ipod touch. They make more money from the iPhone, so why aren't they going to try to encourage you to buy that one? Apple fanboys (and I'm including myself in that one) seem to forget that apple is a business not a charity.

I didn't say I expected Apple to do add these features, I, just that those are the features i would need before I woulf consider upgrading. My deal with AT&T right now gives be a sizeable discount which i would lose if i got an iPhone. Also, I'm not satisfied with the data plans that I would be forced to pay for with an iPhone. No discount + more expnsive plan = bad, so i will just continue to use my L6.

I see your argument as to why Apple wouldn't want to enable more on the new iPod, but like I said, it's not a worth it for me to spend all that money unless the new features make it worth it. IMHO, without more functional capabilities that let you run your life through your iPod, it's just not worth the jump from the last gen to the current, even though they are cool.

I am not a power user by any means, so I may be off base here, but if you can use the iPod Touch to browse the web using Safari, can't you use it to access web-based email?

Thanks, Joan

you should be able to but who really knows until its tested....

i just want it hacked... if it gets hacked i want one lol... that is kinda sad lol

Edited by thespottedelf