Mopar_Dan

Feel let down by Apple Support...Looking for information

Hey everybody,

Ive got a concern with Apples support system and wanted to see if anybody might have any good advice/information.

So almost 2 months ago I started having issues with my Airport Extreme (N) dropping my connection for about 10-15 minutes solid. Well it progressively got worse till it was guarenteed to do it atleast 1-2 times a day. The catch is it would only drop the connection on the 2.4ghz band. My first thought was some sort of interference, and I started cycling the AEBS through several channels, locations in the house, you name it I probebly tried it. The conncetion would always be fine on eith 5ghz or hardline when the 2.4ghz was out.

So after not being able to work it out myself I called Apple care, and they went through several tests/resets/setting changes. Nothing worked. I called Applecare 4 times trying to see how they could help me out. 3 of the 4 times I felt comfortable with the rep I was speaking with. The one time I wasnt, I felt as though I was being treated as if my suspetions about it being an issue with the router and not interference were being ignored and that I was not a priorty. The last guy I spoke with finally confirmed for me that I had tried everything possible to isolate any problem and that I would need to take it to see a genious.

Now I live about an hour and half away from the nearest Apple store, but its in a mall and my wife didnt mind. Once I met with the genius, he confirmed for me just as the last rep from apple care did, that I had tried everything I could and that it didnt "appear" to be an interference issue. This brings me to why Im a bit confuzed....

When he told me that I could get a replacement (which personnally I dont care if it repaired or replaced) he said that I would have to come back in 3-4 days when it comes in because it had to be ordered. I asked if they had any I could possibley get now since I would have to drive the 1 1/2 hours to get back just to pick up the new one, to which he told me that they were out. Sounded like my best bet, so I thanked him and went to look at the iPhone. Well as I was looking at the iPhone I noticed there had to be at least 7-8 Airport Extremes sitting on the shelf by the printers??? So I went to ask the genius if I could possible just get one of the ones on that shelf, thinking he hadent noticed them there. Thats when I was told that those could not be used for service exchanges......something about the stores stock and service stock???? Am I nuts for thinking this is an INSANE policy??? I have to drive back there 3-4days later to pick up an ordered replacment when 8 are sitting right on the shelf?

I just dont feel that thats the best customer service policy. I could of bought any other router out at Wallmart and gotten an exchange same day and not even had to visit with a Genius. Plus its not like I live right next to that store, I have to make the trip just to pick a new one up. I think Im just confused, Ive always been told that Apples support is top notch, all about the customer. It honestly makes my leary about how they would take care of something alot more expensive than an router.

Ok sorry to vent a little, theres more detail to the whole thing. But I figured cliffs would be best. Thanks

Dan

The service ones are usually refurbished items and come in nondescript brown boxes, whilst the ones on the shelf are obviously brand new in the sexy packaging.

But did they not offer to have it shipped to your house? Every item I've had to be either sent away for repair or ordered in because they weren't in stock (I had the same thing when my mighty mouse died - loads on the shelf but no service ones in stock) they've asked if I wanted it sent to the store or back to me.

Also, I would guess the 'service' units have been tested by an Apple employee somewhere and the new ones come direct from the factory in Taiwan/Singapore/wherever so they have more confidence in reliability. I've had several Apple refurbs and they have all worked well for a long time.

I agree they should have suggested shipping to your home.

I was actually told by the genius that they were not able to ship the new one to me, even though I dont live local to the Apple store. So is it likley Ill get a refurb unit instead of a new one? That still doesnt seem right, I paid for a new unit when I bought it. Now I guess Ide be happy as long as thier arent any visual or mechanical defects. It just seems that if I paid for a new unit from the start, that I should get a new unit for reeplacment.

See here's part of my problem, with 2 of the people I spoke with I get this vibe that I'm the one somehow crazy for thinking that my WIFI dropping out for 15 minutes randomly is a big deal. Almost like Im trying to get a new AEBS for some other reason....I dunno if they think Im trying to get the gigabit ports or what. I dont even need them, my goal is 100% wireless. Im 50% there, but cant if the wifi doesnt act right.

Its just that feeling that I could have bought any other router from somewhere like walmart, walked in and told them it was having a problem it and wanted an exchange. Gotten my exchange and walked out same day. I didnt want anyother router, but point in case, it would have been easier to exchange.

yea that does sound frustrating. i'm just not sure why they wouldnt ship it to your house, thats what they always offer me.

If you're getting a refurb, chances are it's newer than your old one anyway. And it's been checked out by an apple engineer, not someone in a chinese factory who's paid 5p a day. If you're not happy with the apple genius, ask to see their manager. I've never had any trouble once I've asked to see the manager.

If you're getting a refurb, chances are it's newer than your old one anyway. And it's been checked out by an apple engineer, not someone in a chinese factory who's paid 5p a day. If you're not happy with the apple genius, ask to see their manager. I've never had any trouble once I've asked to see the manager.

Sounds like good advice, thanks! It'll be nice to get a new/refurb one just to get rid of the WIFI drop.

Dan

Quick Update for ya'll. I picked up the "New" extreme today. Im a little dissapointed because the exchange was not very informative. From what I could pry out of the genius Im guessing that the one I recieved was a refurb. I was expeting to get handed a box or somthing, instead I got handed a plastic wrapped basestation. Kinda left a cheap taste, after bringing my entire basestation in the box it came with still in great condition. Its up and running right now and I had to update the firmware since it was running 7.1.

The good news is that its been working fine so far. (Hmmm maybe it wasnt interference after all <_< ) Im happy its working, just upset that Apple didnt quite live up to its rep and that I feel like going to Wall mart would have been better. Thanks for letting me rant!

Dan

EDIT: Last minute question. Does anyone know if Apple has something like a "Customer Care" or "Suggestion line"? I wanted to suggest they change thier policy concerning the actual new models. Thanks! Dan

Edited by Mopar_Dan

Dan, I thought the first rant was OK. Personally, I could have done without the repeat. Made me feel like saying "If you want to buy from Wal-Mart, go ahead" but I'm REALLY not saying that. Their return policy may seem better but if you did get a router there (though, I don't think they sell something really comparable to the Extreme) and they just replaced it as you prefer and you brought it home and it still didn't work you'd be rightfully frustrated by that. It could still be interference; there is a lot of stuff that operates in that bandwidth such as cordless phones, microwave ovens and remote-control toys. Computers and electronics, even though they have been commodotized, are tough to support. It's all electrons bouncing around in tiny metal boxes. I was an Honors Physics student way back when but it all still amazes me that things work as well as they do. I understand your frustration with the circumstances and Apple's response and empathize but nothing's ever as easy as it may seem.

Hope you're not offended by my response. It isn't meant as a flame. I really do hope your "new" (it may have been used in a store or returned without opening, we don't know) Extreme works out.

All that said, Apple does have Feedback forms in the bottom right corner of this page -

Apple Support Contact page

Dan, I thought the first rant was OK. Personally, I could have done without the repeat. Made me feel like saying "If you want to buy from Wal-Mart, go ahead" but I'm REALLY not saying that. Their return policy may seem better but if you did get a router there (though, I don't think they sell something really comparable to the Extreme) and they just replaced it as you prefer and you brought it home and it still didn't work you'd be rightfully frustrated by that. It could still be interference; there is a lot of stuff that operates in that bandwidth such as cordless phones, microwave ovens and remote-control toys. Computers and electronics, even though they have been commodotized, are tough to support. It's all electrons bouncing around in tiny metal boxes. I was an Honors Physics student way back when but it all still amazes me that things work as well as they do. I understand your frustration with the circumstances and Apple's response and empathize but nothing's ever as easy as it may seem.

Hope you're not offended by my response. It isn't meant as a flame. I really do hope your "new" (it may have been used in a store or returned without opening, we don't know) Extreme works out.

All that said, Apple does have Feedback forms in the bottom right corner of this page -

Apple Support Contact page

Yah, I was tired ranting last night. Thanks for both pointing out the repeats and your advice. Personally I love the AEBS, and wouldnt dare to compare it to any other wireless router. Heck even in David Pogues test it was the only "N" router to perform at "N" speeds. Whats even funnier is I sold two other guys on the AEBS while I was at the Apple store looking at mine! B) They had seen me inspecting the refurb and started asking me questions about it. After about 5 minutes of telling them about the features the first guy grabbed one and went right to checkout. I saw the second guy grab his later while I was looking at the new iPods. Maybe I need to be an Apple Sales rep! :D