Sign in to follow this  
CCrunner54703

No ip address for wireless

I have been fighting with my wireless router for the past few days and have given up. I have a Belkin Wireless G router model number F5D7230-4. I have it all connected and it works when I am wired into the router, but as soon as I attempt to go wireless I lose connection. After looking at the network panel in my system preferences I discovered my airport doesn't have an ip address. I know the airport works because when I bring my macbook to school it works like a charm, but it doesn't work at my apartment. My network status says the same thing that I discovered, I am connected to the router, but don't have an ip address so I cannot connect to the internet.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

-Billy

Make sure the DHCP server on the router is properly configured. What I'd do is just do a complete reset of the router, usually by holding down the reset button on the back of the router while you unplug and plug back in the router. Resetting the router back to factory conditions should hopefully get things running again. If not, maybe you've got a bum router.

-Tom

I would make sure your internet connection is working first, if you can hook it up to your MacBook to your cable or DSL modem with an Ethernet cable I would try that to see if you can get an IP address that way. I fiddled with my Airport for hours one day only to find out my cable modem was bad and had to get it replaced.

Since you're in an apartment situation I would also change the wireless channel your router uses, if it's using the same channel as another wireless router near you or someone has a cordless phone on the 2.4ghz spectrum it can interfere with that also. I had to change my Airport Extreme's channel because of my cordless phone at home, every time someone called us it would bump me off the connection. I'm not sure how do to that for a Belkin router but it should be detailed in whatever manual or their support website.

Good luck!

roog

I have been fighting with my wireless router for the past few days and have given up. I have a Belkin Wireless G router model number F5D7230-4. I have it all connected and it works when I am wired into the router, but as soon as I attempt to go wireless I lose connection. After looking at the network panel in my system preferences I discovered my airport doesn't have an ip address. I know the airport works because when I bring my macbook to school it works like a charm, but it doesn't work at my apartment. My network status says the same thing that I discovered, I am connected to the router, but don't have an ip address so I cannot connect to the internet.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

-Billy

If the problem persists try reseting the router back to factory defaults (there's usually a button on the back to push, or an option in the web settings panel). Before attempting to re-setup the router to use WEP/WPA/etc try to just connect to the router. If it still doesn't work contact Belkin. They've got OK tech support.