Sign in to follow this  
BCMacDude

Memory Question

Okay so i have a first gen macbook pro. I have a 1gb of memory in it in one slot. I have anotehr slot and would like to put another gig in that one. I read something about installing identical pairs in both slots if im going to do that. I was planning on putting another 1gig in there, as i understand matching sticks result in increased performance, but does it matter if they're different brands? I'm planning on buying memory from crucial. It should work okay with my preinstalled apple memory right? Or should i just go buy matching pairs of crucial memory? Any experts out there?

If you got 1 gig pre-installed by Apple, chances are its gonna be in 2 512mb sticks. That said, if you want to get the optimal "increased" performance of matching memory, the brand shouldnt matter at all as long as their the same speed and have the same latency (the CL number).

I wold think that the crucial would work well in the MBP, but the performance gain from pair matching is not really that significant, so i wouldnt buy 2 new sticks just to get an identical RAM pair.

If you got 1 gig pre-installed by Apple, chances are its gonna be in 2 512mb sticks. That said, if you want to get the optimal "increased" performance of matching memory, the brand shouldnt matter at all as long as their the same speed and have the same latency (the CL number).

I did have a gig preinstalled, but i made sure its just 1 1 gig stick rather than the separate 512...go foresight :)

I wold think that the crucial would work well in the MBP, but the performance gain from pair matching is not really that significant, so i wouldnt buy 2 new sticks just to get an identical RAM pair.

I have one dimm of the original Apple 1GB RAM, and one dimm of Crucial 2GB RAM in my MBP and it works flawlessly.

We did this at uni last year for one of our lab sessions, so here we go:

The whole matches pair thing only comes about when you're comparing the same amount of RAM in different configurations. So you're only going to see this on a Mac Pro or an Xserve really. Having more RAM in 95% of cases will outperform having less RAM, irrespective of whether they're matched or not.

For example, lets say we lived in the magical fairy land where a 3Gb chip existed. You'd get better performance having 2 matched 2Gb chips than having 1 1Gb chip and 1 3Gb chip. The performance difference for this would still be minimal however. You don't really see much difference until you get to the 12Gb+ levels.

I have one dimm of the original Apple 1GB RAM, and one dimm of Crucial 2GB RAM in my MBP and it works flawlessly.

can you install 3GB of RAM in a MBP....i thought i heard somewhere that having 3GB wont really help because the OS cant utilize it or something like that.

You certainly can install 3Gb. That's the limit on the original core 2 duo models. The current models support up to 4Gb, whilst the first MBP's with a plain ol' core duo can take 2Gb.

You certainly can install 3Gb. That's the limit on the original core 2 duo models. The current models support up to 4Gb, whilst the first MBP's with a plain ol' core duo can take 2Gb.

Sadness :( I have an original MBP. o well...thats what i get for getting 1st gen hardware :)