darkwolf

Have I been hacked?

Not sure, but I opened up my preferences, and found my firewall was off, and I don't know why- I had it on, and don't check often because I have no reason to turn it off, but like I said, it was miraculously shut down when i looked this morning. How do I check the traffic coming in and out of my computer to see if any foul play is involved, anyone know?

TIA,

Brian

You can use Little Snitch but it's highly unlikely if you're using a Mac that you've been hacked. More likely, something you've installed disabled it or your preferences file got corrupted and turned it off.

Software firewalls really aren't much good anyway. Much better to have a router between you and the outside world.

You can use Little Snitch but it's highly unlikely if you're using a Mac that you've been hacked. More likely, something you've installed disabled it or your preferences file got corrupted and turned it off.

Software firewalls really aren't much good anyway. Much better to have a router between you and the outside world.

this is true, but I still like to have that software firewall when I'm not at home and hiding behind my airport extreme base station.

Do you have someone that has a grudge against you and who, you think, either had access, or is knowledgeable enough to hack into your Mac remotely? If not, I wouldn't worry too much. Perhaps you turned it off unknowingly.

There is one possibility: that you've got apple remote desktop enabled with either a weak password or no password at all.

My password is fairly strong- i did have apple remote desktop enabled in sharing preferenceswhich perhaps was a mistake since I don't use it. There are a few people who might hold a grudge against me who wouldn't know how to hack, but they likely would know people who would. Kinda a stretch, but you never know. I'd suspect more of an automated attack first, which is why I'd like to kow how to check any logs that might exist for my incoming traffic.

Unless you have any 'Services' swithched on and forwarded through the router it is unlikely that you have been hacked. If your s/ware is up-to-date and you don't download files from untrusted sites

then again, it is unlikely you have been hacked.

If you are still worried (a) look for hidden user accounts (B) run netstat or Little Snitch to dtect any attempted outbound connections and © run the top command or Activity monitor to study all running processes and (d) read router logs and system logs (e) study all files that have been recently modified.

Most likely if your Mac is being meddled with then it might be happening locally - maybe by the guy who is sitting next to you. Use a program to take screenshots or record from your iSight (should you have one) to try and catch the culprit. If you need Personal File Sharing enabled (maybe for work), then enable AFP logging to track him/her down.