brycebrycebaby

Roll back an OS X Software Update

Hey Mac Geeks,

I vaguely remember Adam covering a software update topic in a past mac cast and now I can't find it. When I updated from 10.4.9 to 10.4.10, the iSight in my macbook quit working. There was an application called USB Prober that was updated in that update and I'm pretty sure it ruined the connection to my iSight. To be sure, I'd like to roll back to 10.4.9 but I don't want to reinstall the entire OS just for an experiment.

Is there an easy way to roll back?

Thanks in advance,

Bryce

cassiope    0
Hey Mac Geeks,

I vaguely remember Adam covering a software update topic in a past mac cast and now I can't find it. When I updated from 10.4.9 to 10.4.10, the iSight in my macbook quit working. There was an application called USB Prober that was updated in that update and I'm pretty sure it ruined the connection to my iSight. To be sure, I'd like to roll back to 10.4.9 but I don't want to reinstall the entire OS just for an experiment.

Is there an easy way to roll back?

Thanks in advance,

Bryce

the Q&D method is as follows:

move the System folder into the trash (Mark: your disk is no longer a startup disk)

restart using the installation disk of your system - reinstall and run the installer 10.4.9 update-combo app.

forsake the 10.4.10 install

You can get the 10.4.9 installer (combo) from the apple/support/download site.

good luck, HTH

Rob

Mr. Mac    0

I agree. I just updated to 10.4.10 and over the past couple of days I have had 3 kernel panics. I just installed the latest security update and haven't had any trouble since then.

Mr. Mac    0

One thing I should mention - you can't sync the latest ipods and the iphone under anything lower than 10.4.10, I tried.

cassiope    0
One thing I should mention - you can't sync the latest ipods and the iphone under anything lower than 10.4.10, I tried.

as was mentioned when these updates became available. They need X.10.4.10 and iTunes 7.4.2 (or 1 or 0) depending upon your ringtiones :P

Rob

Thanks for your help guys. One word of warning: as soon as you trash your system folder, nothing works. You can boot into the OS X installer from the CD by holding the C key down after you hit the power button.

I ran an archive and install which saved all my user settings and worked fine. Except that it was 10.4.10 again. So then I did an erase and install. Oops. I think the best bet is to remove the system folder, then choose the repair an existing installation button when in the OS X installer menu. Would this just replace the system folder?

At any rate, Carbon Copy Cloner saved my bacon. After the erase and install, I refreshed from a backup I had and everything is now great.

Interestingly, after I did the erase and install my iSight worked great. I really think it was the 10.4.10 update.

thanks again,

Bryce

cassiope    0
Thanks for your help guys. One word of warning: as soon as you trash your system folder, nothing works. You can boot into the OS X installer from the CD by holding the C key down after you hit the power button.

thanks again,

Bryce

After you trashed the system folder you trash some "symbolic link references". These are hard coded "aliases" to files and directories in unix. That is the basic reason why you can't copy the system folder to another disk and have a bootable disk as result.

Also many system directories are hidden (/tmp, /etc, /bin etc etc) and to these directories with quite alot of system files these symbolic links point to.

So you trash them and you of course cannot do anything but startup from the installer dvd. [i assume everybody knows thats done by opressing the C-button, or entering the dvd and select install MAC OS X. That should function as normal.]

Rob