Sign in to follow this  
joe28753

Connecting Apple TV with ethernet and wifi

its seems like this should be possible, but i cant get it to work: i have the new gigabit airport extreme base station with n, and i have an apple tv. my macbook is one of the first, so it doesnt have n wireless. to get the fastest transfer between my computer and the apple tv, i'd like to connect my macbook to the base station with an ethernet cable, then use the wireless n network for the apple tv. for some reason, they only want to see each other when my macbook is also connected with wireless.

I do this with my Powerbook so it doesn't drop my "n" network to "g".

Make sure you go into System Pref > Network. In the second drop down menu "Show:", choose "Network Port Configurations". Then make sure that "Built-in Ethernet" is checked. Now change that same drop down menu to "Network Status" and you should have a green dot and info about your connection. You might have to also go into "Built-in Ethernet" in the same drop down to check your IP adress, HDCP configurations, etc...

Good luck!

well yea, i know how to connect my macbook with ethernet, but i also have my wifi connected. when i turn off my wifi, i still have internet/network access, but my apple tv which is wireless doesnt want to talk to my macbook anymore. the appletv only shows up in itunes when i'm connected to the same wifi network as the appletv. i guess my question is, by me being connected to the same router via ethernet, does that mean i'm also in the wireless network, so to speak? or do they both have to be connected to the same wifi network to see each other. and if not, why isnt my appletv working right?

EDIT: nevermind, i dont know if i had to do this or if i just was doing something wrong before, but i restored my apple tv to factory settings and it works now.