Mr. Mac

iPod touch screen problems poll

Do you have the ipod touch screen "bug"?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have the ipod touch screen "bug"?

• Yes
    • No

How many people have the screen issue with their touch? If they do is it a real problem or do videos and stuff still look good? If someone who has this problem could post a pic of what it looks like it would be great!

I haven't got my touch yet, I am kinda scared, but I still plan on getting it this Sunday, I plan on asking my salesperson how many issues they have had with the shipment I am buying from, both bad screen and diagnostic screen issues - I don't want to buy a new ipod and have trouble right out of the box. I plan on opening and starting mine before I even leave the store to make sure I get the correct screen and not the diagnostic one.

I had mine on Pre-order but Cancelled it on Monday due to all the reports about screen issues, contrast with black.

Have a listen to Chris Breen on this weeks MBW for more details.

I would wait until Apple have had time to sort this issue, perhaps they had an inkling and thats why "some" devices have made it into the wild pre-release, maybe Apple testing the water?

downloaded the test movie, i'll run it on my touch once I get one. I think, unless the salesperson says they have had tons of problems, I will get one. I have 14 days to take it back or exchange it, and if this is a problem that cannot be fixed using software, Apple is sure to come out with an exchange program. And thats another thing, an exchange program, how long do people think it will be before we see that?

Unfortunately, I got an iPod Touch with the screen problem.

Earlier this week I took it back into the Apple store. A tech conmfrimed that it had the affected screen, but they didn't have a unit in stock with which to replace it.

Since today is the Touch release date, I headed back into the store to exchange it. This time the employee who helped me balked at replacing it. He told me he had "heard" that yesterday's software update is "purported" to resolve the issue. The words in quotes are the words he used. He told me it wouldn't necessarily be replaced if there is a fix. Which is nonsense because we know that the issue is a hardware issue.

I did, however, leave with a manager's commitment to replace it. They couldn't do it today, because they didn't get a shipment of Touch iPods today--the official release date!

So... will I have to fight for a replacement next time I go in? Who knows? Can I trust Apple to do the right thing without being pushed? My experience over the last few years with defective Apple gear* does not give me hope. Unfortunately, worse than Apple's quality control issues has been their customer service. I can only speak from my own experience, of course.

(*An iBook that had to have the screen replaced twice, the logic board three times, and the hard drive three times--all while under warranty, with Apple refusing to replace the iBook outright--which would have been the right thing to do in the case of an obvious lemon. The logic board failed a final time after the iBook was no longer in warranty, and with a $600 price tag for a new board, not including labor, you can be sure that the unit went into the trash.)

Edited by sscottyb

Im actually writing this response on my iPod touch. Maybe I just got lucky or maybe its the update, but I dont have any problem with my screen.

Which model do you guys have? The 16gb or the 8gb?

Edited by MacBen Pro

Sorry, go to the forums at: ipodtouchhacks.com . Its in the thread out the iPod update. There are reports on macrumors.com and apple-touch.com as well.

Thank you. The point is now moot, for me. Given the hint of a hassle in getting Apple to make the exchange, I returned the unit while I still could.

It appears that there have been two issues: 1) a small production run in which the anti-glare coating/layer was left out, and 2) generally inadequate image production on all units correctable with improved software.

My unit was displaying all the symptoms of the first case. Apple admitted the problem, even narrowed it down to a particular production week. The anti-glare coating/layer was physically left out, allowing light from the display to reflect back from the glass, causing ghosting and a negative effect. Improved image production may mitigate the symptoms, but it's scientifically ridiculous to suggest that a software update can keep glass from reflecting light.

Originally ordered an iPod touch from Apple but also cancelled when I read the reports of the screen problem. I waited until the problem appeared to be sorted out and bought one (a week 38 build) from Best Buy. My screen's fine and I don't have any dead pixels.