Sign in to follow this  
tykal

iPod Vertigo

Hey guys, I've been a Mac fan for so long, but have never been able to afford it. I finally bit the bullet this year and switched from PC to Mac. Anyway, I hope someone can help me out.

I recently took a few (4) flights with my iPod Phot 60Gb. When I was allowed to use my iPod (after seat belt signs are off), that is cruising altitude, I found that my 3 week-old iPod Photo 60Gb would start making scratchy noises and then freeze, this took about 5-10 mins into the flights. I would then have to reset it...only to get a "contact apple support message". This happened on every flight.

Ever since then, I periodically have to perform the reset process to get the iPod to wake up. This happens more frequently when using the Griffin iTrip.

Is this a bug in the iPod software or am I looking at a HD based MP3 player that will shortly have a dead HD?

Any thoughts on this would be apprecited. :oops:

I'm not sure about the airplane trip. I just went to San Diego from San Francisco last weekend, and both flights I used my iPod Color 20gb before and after take off, and everything worked fine.

About the restart thing, I've noticed that sometimes if I haven't used my iPod in a few days, when clicking a button to start playing a song, the iPod will have to start up (the apple logo shows), as if it had been "shut down" after a certain amount of idle time. I'm not sure if it is supposed to do this, but I've noticed it happens after 3 or 4 days of idle time. I'm not sure if that's what you're talking about, though.... Hopefully that helps.

Thanks for the info. Here's a bit more info which I left out on my previous post.

The iPod worked fine before take off and once back on the ground (after it had frozen), it also worked fine. The scratchy noises prior to freezing, were weird though. I've since tried to use Tech Tool Pro from Micromat to diagnose the drive but it comes up ok.

Coincidently, what you said regarding the "shutdown" is exactly what happens to my iPod. As I said, this happens more when I leave the iTrip on there. This may be a case that the iTrip keeps transmitting even though the iPod is off. I also think that the iPod goes into a deep sleep mode to conserve battery. I'll post again once I get something back from Apple. Thanks again.

Coincidently, what you said regarding the "shutdown" is exactly what happens to my iPod. As I said, this happens more when I leave the iTrip on there. This may be a case that the iTrip keeps transmitting even though the iPod is off. I also think that the iPod goes into a deep sleep mode to conserve battery. I'll post again once I get something back from Apple. Thanks again.

Yeah, I kinda figured that this was just a battery saving mode, and that it was intentional. I think the iTrip thing makes sense. I don't have one, but if I remember correctly, the iTrip just uses the iPod's battery for a power source, and maybe it will drain faster, thus, causing the iPod to go into deep sleep sooner. I'm not sure...