Lexonex

itune Vista 64 bit and the ipod Touch

Here is the deal. I'm slow moving over to Apple. I am running Vista Premium 64 bit (incompatible with itunes and itune software) on my PC and use the Zune Device for my MP3 player needs. I'm thinking of getting an ipod Touch.

I can hook up an Apple "Airport Extreme Base" at my home and therefore have a wireless connection to my ipod Touch. Can I surf the web using the ipod Touch's software Safari? Can I then use this internet connection to obtain any "updates" for my ipod Touch? Can I download MP3 files from various online sites? According to a "MacCast" I recently heard the ipod Touch does NOT receive email. But, certainly I can go into any of my email websites such as Cox Cable's Webmail or Yahoo mail and retrieve mail. Correct?

Thanks for your help.

Windows Vista Home Premium

64-bit Operating System

I.E. 7 (32-bit and 64-bit)

Gateway FX510S

Intel® Pentium® D 950 CPU 3.40GHz

800 MHz FSB, 2x2MB cache non-HT EM64T

Intel (Watsonville 2) 975x Motherboard

BIOS WT97510J.15A.2039.2006.0825.0358

600-Watt power supply

4093 MB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS Graphics Card

Hi and welcome to the family ;-)

Im a little unsure what you mean by "a wireless connection" but if its to get your Touch online then yes you can, also you do not need to buy an Airport Base as it would connect through you current wireless setup, providing you have one of course.

Downloading updates directly through the Touch is at present not possible and handled via iTunes with a "wired" connection.

You can use the Touch to download music directly from the iTunes store but not "to the best of my Knowledge" anywhere else.

Email is serviced through Safari as the touch does not have a standalone client.

Surfing the web on the Touch is fantastic and having used most if not all mobile browsers Safari is by far the best.

Here is the deal. I'm slow moving over to Apple. I am running Vista Premium 64 bit (incompatible with itunes and itune software) on my PC and use the Zune Device for my MP3 player needs. I'm thinking of getting an ipod Touch.

Hope you have a good experience with the change

I can hook up an Apple "Airport Extreme Base" at my home and therefore have a wireless connection to my ipod Touch.

You can use any wireless base station.

Can I surf the web using the ipod Touch's software Safari?

I have an iPhone rather than the touch, but I'm pretty sure the answer is "yes"

Can I then use this internet connection to obtain any "updates" for my ipod Touch? Can I download MP3 files from various online sites?

Here's where I think your plan probably won't work, my guess is the update software for the touch works through iTunes (not independently) and, really, to use any iPod, you need iTunes. Also, other than the electronic iTunes Music Store, I have been unable to download mp3s using my iPhone. I have to think the iPod Touch works similarly.

According to a "MacCast" I recently heard the ipod Touch does NOT receive email. But, certainly I can go into any of my email websites such as Cox Cable's Webmail or Yahoo mail and retrieve mail. Correct?

[/size]

If you only want to use the touch as a wireless internet device, you could, I think. But, I don't see a way of updating the software and/or syncing music to the touch without iTunes.

Very good and I appreciate the responses.....Best results then for using a future ipod touch would be to purchase a Mac or get that Mac Laptop/notebook.....

Any chance of Apple making itunes compatible with Windows/Vista 64 bit O.S.?........If yes, can anyone guess the time frame?

Thanks again...........

Since Vista 32-bit is already supported, I would guess they would eventually have iTunes work on 64-bit versions but I wouldn't think it would be anytime soon. Maybe, when they have Leopard stabilized sometime next year. Just a guess.

Just to make sure, the Apple Airport Extreme base ($179) is compatible with Vista 64 bit O.S.?

I understand itunes software is NOT compatible at this time with Vista 64 bit O.S. but, I want to make sure about the Airport Extreme Base. I am going to run Ethernet from my cable modem to the Airport Extreme base and then Ethernet back to my PC running 64 bit Vista. I want to make sure I can do that.

I plan on purchasing a MacBook and using the "wireless" signal.

Thanks.

If you want to be sure ask apple. We're only speculating since none of us have vista 64 bit. To administer the extreme you will need to run software and that may or may not be compatible with vista 64 bit. Give apple sales a call if you don't have an apple store near by and ask them.

Well as of Week of Nov. 5, 2007 it looks like they may be working on a 64bit version of iTunes. As when I upgraded to iTunes 7.5 I just as an experiment connected my iPod Touch and it gave a different error about to uninstall this version and install the 64bit version of iTunes. So that leads me to believe that they are working on it.

Ben

iTunes 7 is fully compatible with Vista 64bit.....I went out and bought an iPod Touch 16GB to go along with my original Zune 30GB....I run both iTunes 7 and the Zune software ....Not a problem...

Pretty cool. I have a charging stand set up downstairs. The iPod Touch is fully wireless and I can set up email accounts with it and check my email (and send email) downstairs (my PC desktop is upstairs along with my Linksys WRT600N Wireless Router). Yes, I can browse the web. What I think is super cool is the ipod Touch will "sync" every contact I have in say my address book on my Yahoo account and/or every contact in my Windows Contacts and Outlook Contacts (one point I learned the hard way it also syncs all the data from your iPid Touch to whatever data base you are syncing with. Kind of messed up my Outlook Contacts. I had to go through delete them all and put them back in. So, you learn). PLUS of course it is an MP3 player. Not a real big music guy but, I LOVE my podcasts.

Windows Vista Home Premium

64-bit Operating System

I.E. 7 (32-bit and 64-bit)

Gateway FX510S

Intel® Pentium® D 950 CPU 3.40GHz

800 MHz FSB, 2x2MB cache non-HT EM64T

Intel (Watsonville 2) 975x Motherboard

BIOS WT97510J.15A.2039.2006.0825.0358

600-Watt power supply

4093 MB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS Graphics Card

Edited by Lexonex

I have done a complete migration to Mac! Love it!... Gave away all my MS equipment, PC, Zune the works... I have a Mac Pro Upstairs and put the iMac downstairs.. IPod Touch working great along with my iPod Nano...Added some AppleTVs to my HDTVs. Windows7? Who gives a crap!

WOOOO-HOOOO!

The original post is 2 1/2 yrs old and as I reread the thread I thought "really should just get a Mac" and, you DID.

Congrats. I believe you will appreciate your switch for years to come.

And, you can always get helpful tips and solutions from this community.

Thanks. You know that is an important point. The Community. Apple Community. From the Company Apple to every owner, developer and user. Something I did not really appreciate until I was up to speed. Lot of very good people in the PC world willing to help. but, it was always about getting drivers or solving errors/issues to get back to "normal".

I do get issues with my Mac and I'm still in the learning curve but, help goes way beyond just getting the Mac properly working... Apps are really time savers and way cool. People writing Automator workflows for Twitter, URL Shorteners and all sorts of programs/software... Just installed 1password and WOW what security and ease of use going into my accounts. My iPod Touch gives me complete access to 99% of the iPhone apps store....iPod Nano for all my audio podcasts....NO REGRETS. ALL IN. Not looking back.......

Again, Windows7 ?? Who gives a crap!

Mac Man Lexonex

You know, of course, 1Passworrd has an app for the iPhone/Touch? Also, very handy.

You know, of course, 1Passworrd has an app for the iPhone/Touch? Also, very handy.

Yeah I Know.. bought the "Pro" version too... cheap! BTW Since I have a Mac upstairs and one downstairs there is free software Dropbox.. GREAT! any changes to my 1password goes directly to my other Mac! Of Course, the iPod Touch will sync... MS is just another bumpy past memory....

Edited by Lexonex