MacBen Pro

iPod touch

MacBen Pro    0

Well. No one has a review up so far for the new iPod, so I thought I'd let everyone know my thoughts on it.

First off its a lot thinner than i ever thought. Half the size of the 4th gen ipod. The screen is amazing and movies and contrast are exelent. I guess i lucked out, but i hear that the update for it solves any problems relating to that. As an ipod the controls are very nice. Great response to touch, and i love just playing with cover flow. My picture look better than they do on my MBP! And as long as you have a good wi-fi connection, internet browsing is outstanding. I love not having to lug my laptop around when i just need to check my mail or game scores.

To me, it was worth the $450. 16 gb is just perfect to hold all my music, several photos, and two full movies.

The only problem I had was the playback. It has trouble playing mp3s for some reason, but after I converted everything over to m4p, I've not had any problems.

On, and I wrote all on this from on my iPod. Hehe...

zionlion    0
The only problem I had was the playback. It has trouble playing mp3s for some reason, but after I converted everything over to m4p, I've not had any problems.

Could you elaborate on this as its a massive issue for many, is it isolated to a particular Bit Rate?

Mine should arrive tomorrow, 2 days late but hey I'm just the customer ;-)

MacBen Pro    0

The only lines that I could draw between all of the song are that they were just really old converted mp3s... I know they were 96kbs, so maybe that was it. Because the songs that were in the 200-300kbs range were absolutely fine. And the m4p songs at 128 were fine... So mabe that's just it...

zionlion    0

well it turned up on Thursday and for the first time in ages I am blown away!

Only issue I have found is when using Safari and listening to a podcast the audio seems to pause/crash? Anyone else notice this?

If you dont want the iPhone but do want a new iPod then you wont find better.

Falling back in love with Apple :-)

MacBen Pro    0

I showed mine to a classmate of mine who is all about PCs and hates using Macs / Apple. He loved it, he kept saying over and over how cool it was. After he played with it for about 30min, he told me he was going to go buy one! He was amazed at all of the little things it could do!

goodapple    23
i used one in an apple store and they are amazing... when i get the money i'm gonna buy one :D
I did that to actually be able to see how great it really is. When i was finished checking it out, I was convinced that that was the ipod i would get when i got enough money for an 8GB model. Great with videos and photos as well as, duh, music.

ipod-touch-announced.jpg

Edited by goodapple

Apple Matt    0

Well, I'll throw in my tuppence worth.

I got mine just after Christmas and I couldn't be more pleased. It replaced my stolen 5th gen ipod video so it was an upgrade in many ways but a downgrade in capacity.

First things first, have I jailbroken it? Well, yes, yes I have. I have it jailbroken and on 1.1.2. and i must say that half the things I do on it at least are using the 3rd party apps I've found. Would i still buy it if I couldn't jailbreak it? Well, yes but not for the price they are here in the UK (£269, which is around $540 for the 16gb).

I've had no troubles so far.

The back scratches just as much as all the old ipods (you just have to look at it and it scratches) but the front screen, heck, you couldn't scratch it if you tried (seriously, take your keys to it, I bet you can't scratch it).

The only thing I miss is that i want a compatible in line remote for it. I used to change tracks on my 5th gen by leaving it unlocked in my pocket and just feeling for the controls, it's a pain to have to reach into my pocket and get the thing out to change anything now, especially if it's raining or sumsuch.

Huskermn    33
The only thing I miss is that i want a compatible in line remote for it. I used to change tracks on my 5th gen by leaving it unlocked in my pocket and just feeling for the controls, it's a pain to have to reach into my pocket and get the thing out to change anything now, especially if it's raining or sumsuch.

Don't know, but you might be able to use the headset(s) designed for the iPhone. It's not total control but I can Pause and Skip to the next track with the button on the mic.

Graham    1

Nope, that's iPhone only unfortunately. The iPhone has a different headphone jack to the iPod touch (different to any iPod for that matter).

Outkast    0

I don't really have the money to think about something more optional like a new iPod right now (my only mac/computer just died), but my friend bought one while he was in Akihabara, and it's awesome. He brought it up to our apartment, asked me for the network info, and now can surf in seconds whenever he comes. iPods haven't really caught on in Japan much because most people use their phones for everything from music to photography to web surfing (America and Europe are probably ten years behind Korea and Japan in cell phone technology), but the newest one might change that... Since the iPhone can't work in Japan as things are right now, the new iPod itself could become more popular, especially if public wireless ever got started here.

All in all, if you could find wireless everywhere like you can cell phone reception, I'd still get one today... An iPod that you can actually do things with instead of just loading onto it was one of the best iPod innovations ever.

Edited by Outkast

zionlion    0
I don't really have the money to think about something more optional like a new iPod right now (my only mac/computer just died), but my friend bought one while he was in Akihabara, and it's awesome. He brought it up to our apartment, asked me for the network info, and now can surf in seconds whenever he comes. iPods haven't really caught on in Japan much because most people use their phones for everything from music to photography to web surfing (America and Europe are probably ten years behind Korea and Japan in cell phone technology), but the newest one might change that... Since the iPhone can't work in Japan as things are right now, the new iPod itself could become more popular, especially if public wireless ever got started here.

All in all, if you could find wireless everywhere like you can cell phone reception, I'd still get one today... An iPod that you can actually do things with instead of just loading onto it was one of the best iPod innovations ever.

"(America and Europe are probably ten years behind Korea and Japan in cell phone technology)"

I was listening to music, surfing the web, taking pictures/browsing pictures and organising my work and personal life for years, innovation in this field has come from Apple and the rest are following so I don't understand your above comment?