haivu

Help: How to fix Mighty Mouse roller ball?

Hello everyone,

My wife's bluetooth mighty mouse has been dropped several times on hardwood floor, which results in a lesser IQ than an average rodent. The problem is with the roller ball for scrolling: it can scroll up, left, and right; but not down. Is there any way to fix this, or am I stuck with a handicap one? I have tried to clean the ball using a micro-fiber cloth, but it did not help.

not sure if yours is really affected by the dropping, or if there is just dirt and grime in there. what i do with mine is rub the ball back and forth with some rubbing alcohol on the cloth and the mouse upside down. the alcohol gets all the greasy grime and dirt off. at least for a while.

Joe,

Thank you for the advice, but no matter how much I cleaned (with and without alcohol), I could not save it. I will try to talk to a genius at my local Apple store to see if he/she has any advice.

I had exactly the same problem and did all the usual things such as damping the ball (with water) and then rubbing vigorously on clean paper. I even administered a few drops of Isopropyl Alcohol onto the ball.

It wasn't until I bought a new one that the original mouse took on a new lease of life and I'm still using it now! I must have frightened it!!

i really like the way my wireless mighty mouse looks, and i like it being wireless, but honestly i always find myself going back to my 20 dollar wired microsoft mouse. i just like the scroll wheel better. although it is nice to have the sideways scroll on the mighty mouse. i just wish the scroll didnt always get stuck.

Mine does the same, I do as the above said, damp it a little and Rub it.

Offen mine will scroll up but not down! but after cleaning it's fine.

I love the face you can scroll side ways, and when at work with a old dell scroll mouse, I offen am frustrated about not scrolling sideways and not being able to use expose.

The scroll ball is the killer function for me!

If only Apple would modify it in order facilitate removal of the ball ......

i have 2 mighty mice that i have been using... the one on the imac i got to work by turning it upside down and running it back and forth as fast i could... i dislodged what ever was in there and it has worked for 7/8 months now fine :)

now the other one i have (a friend gave it to me) doesn't work i have had it for 2 months and everything i've tried hasn't worked

actually i've been looking and there isn't many other ways to clean then what has already been told... other than taking it apart which i'm gonna do with my second one after i get a chance...

I rub mine upside down on a piece of paper, which seems to get some grime out. I also use alcohol swabs to get some grim out.

The thing is that it never seems to last very long and I have to do it regularly!

Must stop gorging myself on KFC before using Mighty Mouse!

I had that issue twice with my BT MM. Both times I did the same procedure and it worked!

1. hold it upside down and rub the little ball with a soft cloth with alcohol or some kind of cleaner.

2. Holding the mouse upside down, blow compressed air into the ball, the pressure from the air will make the ball move and air will go inside the hole.

3. Holding the mouse on it's normal position, press the scroll ball really hard and scroll in all directions.

I hope this helps.

i tried using the mighty mouse, i really did. My first one got all clogged with dirt and died a tragic death, my second one is a BT one, i hardly use it, but it recently has started clogging dirt as well. my 3rd one had a cut in the wire, and i had it replaced, my 4th one also caught dirt, but i dont think its normal to have to clean your mouse after a hard day of work ( every day ). And the 4th was better than the first, but i knew that i was only delaying execution of the mouse, so i ditched it and got myself a nice logitech. Honestly, the scroll ball is nice in concept, but in reality it just doesn't work. People will alway have dirty (slightly sweaty) hands after a day of working behind a computer, and it just stops scrolling. My logitech has so far never needed a scroll-cleaning, and it's like 7 months old now.

Resistance is futile, the scroll ball will become unusable in the end, just get a proper mouse, is my advice.