Sign in to follow this  
Baryon

Mac OS X on x86

You said you wanted feedback on the crazy idea of Mac OS X being released for standard PCs.

You say you think people would almost certainly switch to OS X if it were available for their PC. I agree. But you also say they are willing to use a better OS than Windows, and that Linux, as an alternative to Windows, is too complex for them. You may think we just have differing opinions on what 'complicated' means, but that's not true. Most Linux distros nowadays - not just Red Hat, but Mandriva and Novell and MEPIS and Linspire and so on - have installation routines that are as easy, if not easier, than the Mac OS X installation routine, and have graphical interfaces that are almost identical to those of Windows and OS X.

Probably the only thing stopping a full scale migration to Linux is lack of commercial exposure. Apple has the commercial prowess to make such a migration happen, and I am fairly confident that in one fell swoop they could throttle Microsoft's monopoly with a move like this, but Linux is already offering an OS better than Windows, and migration to it is slow at best. Of course, it's not nearly as feature-packed and desktop-oriented as OS X is, but the commercial editions of it definitely provide something that is not only easy to get on your system, but simple to use too. And it even runs on Mac hardware. Distros like MEPIS and KNOPPIX don't even need to be installed - you can run them from a CD. Some can be run from a USB drive.

I'm saying this mainly because Linux is another of my primary interests, but it does raise what I think is an interesting point about whether Windows users really will take any better OS they see, or whether they need a big commercial company like Apple to hold their hand as they make their switch.

one of the reason why osx runs good on apple machines is the hardware is filtered down. there are thousands of hardware manufactueres for pc's. apple would need driver support for all these different hardware deveices. load osx on a generic pc and i can gaurentee you that it won't run like it should. aww heck, it might even produce a blue screen. =P i would love to see osx on an x86's..but it would have to transform to some sort of windowsish disaster.

Well, Linux does a fairly commendable job of providing drivers for all sorts of different computer architectures - even beyond x86. At the very least, Mac OS X on x86 could easily have the same hardware support as Linux. Being a commercial company they're bound to be able to exceed that support too.

I am trying to get OS X on my pc. I just need darwin and I will be set. Once I get Darwin I can get ready to use VMware on my computer to run OS X. Also I can install OS X throught pear pc to transfer to VMware. Once that is done, I will have a working OS X on my pc. If you would like to see the link to install os x on your pc let me know by pm.

I am trying to get OS X on my pc. I just need darwin and I will be set. Once I get Darwin I can get ready to use VMware on my computer to run OS X. Also I can install OS X throught pear pc to transfer to VMware. Once that is done, I will have a working OS X on my pc. If you would like to see the link to install os x on your pc let me know by pm.

What you are doing is nice and illegal :P

Well actually I am not. All the software is legal.

Well actually I am not. All the software is legal.

If you're using PearPC yes, but if you are using OS X for X86, then it isn't. Not sure whiuch you are actually doing, your post mentioned both.

I believe he is using the copy of OS X that he owns for his Mac and he is trying to run that under something like VMWare on his PC. I don't think he has OS X for x86.

I am using VMware, OS X, Pear PC, and I need to get Darwin. Not sure where to get it. Once I do that, it will ready to run.

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Vmware_how_to

I totally agree with Adam on this one. Like I mentioned in the past on this forum, making OS X available for generic PC hardware will bring loads of advantages and will even benefit those using genuine Mac hardware, because opening it up will bring in tons of new users, which means more software apps and commercial awareness. Software is where the money is but Apple will not lose out on their own hardware sales - they're too darn sexy for that. It's all up and up from here - especially if Apple go this route (inevitable despite what they might officially say). Maintaining a hardware compatibility list WILL work - Apple can grow the list at their own pace. Quality and stability doesn't have to suffer. The developer community will deal with adding support for the rest of the hardware out there, and businesses and regular users can stick to what's guaranteed to work. Regarding Linux - it's nice, and I loved UNIX when I used it at uni, but I wouldn't expect my mother to get to grips with it! (that's my benchmark for ease of use).

..Ant

Am I living in a dream? Doesn't anybody remember Gil Amelio? Amelio, as Apple CEO, licensed Power Computing to run the Mac OS on their PC Box. Do you remember what happened? Everybody, including me, bought the very cheap Power Computing box. It ran fine using the Mac OS. Apple almost went under. It was very close. Steve Jobs came back and saved the company. How? By buying Power Computing, killing that license and shutting Power Computing down.

Apple is a hardware company. Apple cannot survive selling software. Though this has been stated time and time again, once more will not hurt, you cannot compete with Microsoft in the operating system software business. Until Steve Jobs morphs into Gil Amelio, you can bet that the Mac OS will not see the inside of a PC box.

I don't remember this at the time, well I was to young and didn't really pay attention to apples. But apple had mac clones. This was in hope to create more software and bring in more money to apple. Also it was based on hope that new technology would be promoted. But as you can see today, we don't have mac clones. This is the reason why apple won't allow themselves to become a software company. I feel that this is sad. But we shall see. I would love to buy OS X for any x86 computer.

Apple is a hardware company. Apple cannot survive selling software.

I am not arguing that Apple is a hardware company, but I will say that I think they would do just fine as a software company. Here is why:

They would automatically open up their software market for millions and millions of more users. If you were buying a new computer and had the choice between Windows and OSX, which would you choose? I even think that the majority of Windows users would choose OSX over Windows. Also, think about this (this is a biggie) - what if every school in the US (or whatever country you are in) had OSX installed on their computers. Apple could (?possibly?) work out a deal with school disctricts saying that they could buy whatever computers they wanted but that they could run OSX for free (or a very small fee). You are probably thinking that would be stupid because Apple would lose ALL of the hardware sales that it currently makes to schools. You would be right that they would lose all of the hardware sales but think of the potential of having every child in America exposed to OSX every single day at school. When it comes time for them to get a new computer, which OS do you think they would choose?

A lot of you might also be concerned about Apple losing their hardware sales from "regular" people also. I don't think this is the case. I am completely guessing here, but I would say that probably 75% of the people who currently buy Apple hardware would still buy Apple hardware (maybe even more, but there will definately be some people who are looking for the cheapest PC available). Once people start using OSX and realizing how great it is (I am a PC user, but I still believe that it is the best OS around) they will be more inclined to buy Apple hardware. These extra people will more than make up for the loss of existing Apple hardware customers, and at the same time Apple will be growing their software customers by leaps and bounds.

I don't know if Apple will release OSX86 or not, but I hope that they do. I hope that the above makes sense...I have been typing all day long.

Totally agree with the idea of getting OS X into as many schools as possible, whatever the loss/cost. I also think a strong incentive for Internet Cafes would be good too, along with public libraries and any other service used by the general public - it would mean more exposure to those that haven't crossed paths with OS X before.

..Ant

I hadn't even thought of internet cafe's/libraries, but that is a good idea too. The thing that many people don't realize (but Im pretty sure that Apple does) is that sometimes you have to take a loss to get ahead. In other words, be willing to give the OS away to certain places like schools, internet cafe's, etc...If they do that then more people will get used to using OSX and then they will begin to want it for their home (or business which could be a HUGE category for Apple). Anyways, that's my thoughts about the whole OSX86 deal. Whatever the case, shortly after Apple releases new Intel boxes they will gain *at least* one more customer (myself)...I will be buying a new Mac and, at least temporarily, setting it up to dual boot into Windows.

I don't know if I am in a minority here (probably...), but I hope that they never release OS X for general use on any generic x86 machine, and that the OS stays exclusively on Apple Hardware. I am being quite selfish (but I don't care anymore), because after years of putting up with viruses, spyware, malware, trojans, worms, security holes, buggy software, buggy drivers, etc, on M$ products, and poor hardware support and arcane installation and configuration routines on *nix OSes, I am happy to have found such a superb OS as the BSD based OS X. I want to keep it nice and exclusive, because lets face it, we are only as free from net nasties and security compromises such as the aforementioned plagues, because we are such as small community. Do you think that the people that create these viruses and malwares (and I still reckon that they are paid by the anti-virus companies to do so), won't turn their attentions to OS X if they think it is financially worthwhile ?? Keep it nice and quiet and below the radar as it is now, and we can all enjoy a hassle free future of virtually carefree computing and internet activity. I, for one, don't want to be downloading daily updates for McAfee:Mac or AVG:Mac, or having to run Ad Aware:Mac or CWShredder:Mac. Let's hope Mr Jobs does the right thing, and keeps the OS running exclusively on Apple hardware. Let the non-believers suffer. :twisted:

Yours selfishly....

Honestly, that would be fine with me because Apple has already said that they will not do anything to keep Windows from running on Apple hardware. Even if MS tries to stop it, they won't be able to. I am planning on getting a new Apple Intel box shortly after they are released and running a dual boot OSX/Windows system already, so I could care less if Apple makes their software availablle on the shelf or not.

However, I am a business person and I am thinking with my business mind here...if Apple wants to become a larger, more profitable company they would be wise to release OSX as a shrink wrapped version. I'm not saying there won't be problems along the way, but I do think that they are the ONE company that could actually hurt Microsoft in the long run. Not that I really want MS to get hurt...unlike a lot of people on here, I don't have a problem with MS. I just think that if Apple releases OSX86 as a shrink wrapped software then it will create more competition for Microsoft...competition is better for everyone (including Apple). To stay the best both companies will have to keep on improving their products. You might say that Apple already improves their products yearly (which I would completely agree with), but think about this...if Apple has some competition then I personally think that they would improve it that much more. What do you think about that? I'm looking forward to your answers.

Sign in to follow this