Sign in to follow this  
shanmac

Mighty Mouse - Review

I received my Mighty Mouse shortly after its release. Overall I would give it a 6/10 rating. My first impressions were - why was it not Bluetooth? I have Apple's Bluetooth mouse and I love it. It feels wierd now dragging around a little tail. Yes, the bluetooth mouse is a little heavier, but it is not like you are dragging it up 10 flights of stairs or anything. As for the scroll ball - too small - there is not a rugged enough feel to it. I like the fact though that when you press it down it gives you extra functionality. Now for the side buttons. These should have been omitted. They are awkward to use and can be accidently triggered quite easily.

Apple did seem to try their best at this mouse, however there are significant shortcomings. I hope that someone at HQ is working on a redesign to address these issues.

Overall, I defend my 6/10 rating, and do not rate it as a buy.

I disagree, I really like my Mighty Mouse. The scroll wheel works just fine and the side buttons bring up expose or dashboard with ease. I do wish they would've made the side buttons separate (possibly a back and forward button for web browsing). Since I never used the bluetooth mouse before, I have no problem with the MM. I'm just glad to finally have an official 2 button Apple mouse.

Well, I have to say I am not too impressed with Mighty Mouse. The whole thing was a $49 curiousity with nothing left in functionality. Here's my take on the mouse:

1. When right-clicking for the secondary button, I have to raise my index finger off the shell before clicking it with my middle finger. I tend to rest my hand on the mouse so this was an awkward motion.

2. The middle "nipple" button doesn't activate unless you press the entire shell down. Again a bit awkward compared to other mice I have used in the past.

3. The squeeze is just like a big thumb button. You only need to tap one side. Hard to control, sometimes it double clicks.

4. The wire is very short for those who place their computers far from the desk. Nice for laptops users who don't like bluetooth.

In the end, I agree with shanmac ... this mouse is not a keeper.

I personaly like it. I disagree with your commment on the side buttons. They are easy enough to use, but i've never accidently triggered them. I have it set so that the "nipple" opens up AIM or Adium, I haven't decided which I like better. I have the side buttons set to open Itunes. It's quite useful for me. Also, for Firefox users, it seems that using the scroll "nipple," you can go back and forward in pages by going side to side.

I have been using the Mighty Mouse under Panther at work now for about a week and I am REALLY disappointed with the horizontal scroling under Firefox. Rather than scrolling horizontally as Apple said that it should it scrolls through your history. A real pain when you are not wanting to go back in time but just scroll to the bottom of the page!! (Yes, there is an error factor while scrolling vertically)

Anyway this is not really a problem at the moment but I just wanted to blow a little steam on this subject! I will be installing the software for the Mighty Mouse and see if I can setup a different preference set in Firefox so that the horizontal scroling is disabled!

I also am disappointed in the right-clicking action of the Mighty Mouse. You actually have to remove your index finger to get the right click action to work! What is up with that?? Some sensors if they can't detect which finger you are actually pressing with!

You just need to edit about:config to disable the history thing... I forget what to edit specifically, but a quick Google search would tell you what to do. But it's an easy fix.

I figured it out... Not too difficult. Thanks a bunch!!

Yeah, I love the Mighty Mouse. After using the Apple BT mouse, I do agree, however, that I liked the 'heft' of the BT mouse. I'll definitely spring for the BT version when it comes out.

Same issues w/ Firefox. History thing. But yeah, a quick Google search solved that problem. However, my horizontal scrolling seems to be inverted. I scroll left, it takes me right and vice versa. Anyone know how to fix this problem? It does not effect vertical scrolling at all.

Thanks

Well, this problem has been solved in the 1.5 release of Firefox.

I used a Mighty Mouse at the Apple Store, here's what I think about it:

At first it was a little, well, different. However, over time I really liked it. The only two things I didn't like were the $50 price tag, and the weird right-clicking. I like the way it felt, though and I wouldn't mind using one.

Well, its official - I've abandoned my Mighty Mouse after two months of contortion and pain. I've replaced it with my trusy Microsoft (yes, M$) wireless optical mouse. Man it feels better! That being said, I'll get a new Mighty Mouse when it gets Bluetooth and sorts out some of its other issues.