MacBookinToronto

How to Convert Video to work on iPod touch

Hey all,

I just purchased an iPod touch and was wondering what software everyone recommends to convert video I already have (mostly AVI files) to a format compatible with my new iPod.

I would love to be able to watch some of my video not purchased on iTunes on my way to work so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Well... That's going to be a hard one. AVI is a windows file type, Macs can't read them unless they have a plug-in like VLC. I have an iPod touch as well and it'll only use videos in H.264. You can either use Instant Handbreak if you're using a mac, or try PQ-DVD if you have a PC. Both will convert from a DVD to H.264 fairly quickly. As to converting AVI to H.264, I have no clue... Sorry.

This is easy. Actually, avi isn't a windows file type. It's actually a wrapper (much like mp4) that can contain many audio and video codecs.

Basically you need to install Perian and then you can use any number of applications. I already have quicktime pro, so I'd use that, but there are many free options like iSquint, and several paid options like VisualHub.

FYI, Windows Media Files aside, there is no such thing as a windows media file. And even those can work quite happily on your mac using Flip4Mac.

Yea, Macs have no problems with AVIs, I play them in regular old quicktime all the time with no issues. BTW, there is an option right in iTunes to convert video files to an iPod - friendly format. Simply import your AVI files, then right click (or control click) on them and choose the "Convert selection for iPod" option that pops up on the menu. Post and let us know how it goes!

Yea, Macs have no problems with AVIs, I play them in regular old quicktime all the time with no issues. BTW, there is an option right in iTunes to convert video files to an iPod - friendly format. Simply import your AVI files, then right click (or control click) on them and choose the "Convert selection for iPod" option that pops up on the menu. Post and let us know how it goes!

Hi There,

Just a small question, is this the same possibility for Windows for Itunes ? That

AVI can be viewed in IPOD Videos ? I had to consistently

convert from AVI to MP4 using Videora always in order for me to view the file

in my IPOD Video 30Gb. B) Thanks.

Cheers,

SteinzartR

I would assume the option to convert video for iPod would be present on the PC side of iTunes, but I can't confirm that, I have a Mac. ;) The converted files should play fine on any model of iPod supporting video, as far as I know all iPods support the same video types.

Edited by Mr. Mac