Sign in to follow this  
jrad2u

Couldn’t open the file. It may be corrupt or a file format

jrad2u    0

Recently I've noticed that I have some photos in my iphoto library (all jpgs) that won't open, the edit pane just hangs. I then proceeded to go to the iphoto library folder and directly open a file that had this problem in Preview but I get the error:

Couldn’t open the file. It may be corrupt or a file format that Preview doesn’t recognize.

I don't know what happened to this file or if it ever worked since I imported the library to my new G4 powerbook and I have to admit I hadn't perused my entire library to verify each file.

I'm a recent switcher and I'm not sure if I'm experiencing a transfer glitch in the file or somehow the file has been corrupted on this machine.

What can I do to repair these photo files?

Milan    0

I googled a bit and found this application.

There it says: "Corrupt JPEG Support"

I don't know whether this is what you need, but try it.

In the Feedback section of GrafikConverter on versiontracker.com one user mentions that it could open corrupt jpg files. Try it!

Greetings

~milan

jrad2u    0

No luck. I thought I'd give these apps a whirl but to no avail, I get the same error.

Milan    0

Do these files still have a size that qualifies them as possible jpgs, because there has to be enough data to restore them.

Make sure you have proper permissions to read the file.

I just took a jpg and changed the permissions to 000 and tried to open it in Preview. Preview told me that the file could be corrupted or be of a format that Preview doesn't support. This is strange...

Check that, too.

DougKessler    0

I have problems importing jpegs from my Nikon D50.

I get the 'unreadable files' error message.

When I double-click the jpeg file in the camera folder, the images are all scrambled in Preview as well.

But they look fine on the camera and upload perfectly on another Mac.

Sometimes I'm able to re-import the 'bad' files and they import fine.

I'm running OSx 10.4.8 on a G5.

Any help appreciated.

Open Disk Utility in /Applications/Utilities and run its Repair Permissions and Repair Disk functions (under First Aid). This is the first step to diagnosing these sorts of problems. Also, check that you do indeed have read & write access to those files by clicking on one in the Finder and going to File->Get Info. Make sure it says you can read and write.