Sign in to follow this  
zionlion

Al Gore

Al Gore and the UN Climate change panel take the Nobel Peace prize, Im not big on politics but after following his work for some time I cant help but feel pride for this man.

Read on.....

I'm sorry but i hate politians reguardless and Mr Gore's situation:

I failed to become president, damn. What would look good... (Wait a few years) oo, oo, oo do a documentary on climate change.

Ok how does one approach this... Umm so we go to different places with Al and he draw them all together. What should he use to draw them all together? A powerpoint presentation (or what ever the generic name is).

Interestingly in England we had a documentary called the great global warming swindle in which they compared their graph against al and others. Al's graph show little correlation their's show significanly better correlation. They proposed that sunspot had a greater effect on global warming. That and they showed that temperatures rose after co2 increase.

Now this is the significant part: The above scientists got discredited because of the driving force of an inconvient truth and the data sources Al used. It just seems like a "there are weapons in iraq" but there's no proof, "look we are right though, trust us"

I happen to take the view that nothing can be total proven as everything couldn't in theory be disproven (does everyone see the same thing when they see blue?). But A noble prize for him... No

+ Live earth = biggest farce ever.

No offence zionlion, just had to get it off my chest.

Have a peasant day everyone!

I'm sorry isn't this the guy that claimed to invent the internet? if i remember right that was part of his campaign for president

I know another one: wasn't Nobel the person who invented dynamite, which killed so many soldiers? He was just trying to redeem himself by putting some of the money he earned in life aside for the Nobel Prices. ;)

Sjees, lighten up guys. When did the Nobel Peace Price ever made sense? It has been a price inspired many times by the politics of the day.

oh yeah he did claim he invented the internet, thats the other reason i hate him.

No my main issue is not with the whole noble peace prize - which yes is pretty pointless as no-one does something to get the award, they want money from patents etc and fame.. My main issue is with Al gore he seems like a complete arse.

Again no offence zionlion.

oh yeah he did claim he invented the internet, thats the other reason i hate him.

No my main issue is not with the whole noble peace prize - which yes is pretty pointless as no-one does something to get the award, they want money from patents etc and fame.. My main issue is with Al gore he seems like a complete arse.

Again no offence zionlion.

Bloody hell ;-)

You have many good points and I couldn't take offence to such informed and passionate opinions, its a shame politicians don't share your qualities.

Did he really claim he invented the internet?

Damn I hate the Bastard now lol

Moderators feel free to remove the expletive.

Despite many not so desirable qualities, like saying anything in the world to try and get elected, Al Gore has always been an environmentalist. I always become a bit sad when I see people yelling about how they feel so passionate about a topic and have strong feelings, when they appear to only know a few scattered "facts" from second, third, or fourth hand information. This reflects the state of politics in this country, unfortunately; many people run around yelling about how horrible someone is, or even how great someone is, when all they have are a few facts but mostly misinformation.

To set the record straight:

Transcript: Vice President Gore on CNN's 'Late Edition'

BLITZER: I want to get to some of the substance of domestic and international issues in a minute, but let's just wrap up a little bit of the politics right now.

Why should Democrats, looking at the Democratic nomination process, support you instead of Bill Bradley, a friend of yours, a former colleague in the Senate? What do you have to bring to this that he doesn't necessarily bring to this process?

GORE: Well, I will be offering -- I'll be offering my vision when my campaign begins. And it will be comprehensive and sweeping. And I hope that it will be compelling enough to draw people toward it. I feel that it will be.

But it will emerge from my dialogue with the American people. I've traveled to every part of this country during the last six years. During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet. I took the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our country's economic growth and environmental protection, improvements in our educational system.

Gore didn't claim to have invented the Internet, just that he pushed for its creation. True or not, lets not spread half-truths about a man who is doing what he can to help with the environment. Sorry to get all preachy, but I really hate it when people do this type of thing. It's the ignorant spreading of lies that keeps certain people in power. I'm not accusing anyone on this poster of lying, but spreading a lie that they believed to be true.

-Tom

The whole spearheading the internet thing:

yeah but it seems he worded like, because i did this, this happened. When really (and no-one can acurrately say) i think it was probably floating around and he thought it would be a good thing to try and get him name attached to. I mean education was one of the purposes he put across. I think we all know that there is little for education (relisistally speaking). I'm most of that has only just come along but even so is flaws (everybody uses wikipedia). I don't think he followed through which does kind of supports the putting his name in something for some thing to put on his cv (think putting your head in someone else's picture and saying you know them). Eww politions.

I say i'm rather enjoying this

OH OH OH!!! umm.. here we go. Even Tim Berners-Lee said that he didn't even invent the internet (Have a read of his website, very humbling and honest:

http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/Kids.html

(Doesn't even pass w3 validation, he he!)

The internet is invented and being created still by everyone (even this posting).Therefore i don't think one could actively make a big statement like that.

No wait are we talking about the internet as in the network that spans the globe or the http:// and html internet, Al was on about the latter right?

Edited by powerpc

OK so I better fess up, Im a massive environmentalist and have some controversial and radical views on "Slowing" the effects of Global damage created by greedy, selfish and short thinking nations but perhaps thats for another forum ;-)

Al Gore is succeeding in bringing "his" message across to the world, that I doubt anyone could dispute and this is a good thing for our planet.

My Son has seen many environmental studies and I have shown him the effects that are visible now on our Hikes and Camping trips, he understands one clear fact and its this, we are killing the planet.

Like I said Im not into politics and many would say that the problem is political, I however disagree and say its a Human issue and if you can look beyond Gores "polish" you will find substance.

So the award? Well I guess its Gores but more importantly its bringing the issues closer to the people that count, you and I :-)

i'm sorry but the other thing is i don't think we need to protect the earth from its own natural cycle. if you look it up, you can see that the average temperature has always varied.

i'm sorry but the other thing is i don't think we need to protect the earth from its own natural cycle. if you look it up, you can see that the average temperature has always varied.

Spot on, we shouldn't try to alter the earths natural cycle. We should however curb the unnatural effects we are having on the planet.

*Thought* I go to church and call myself a Christian like many millions all over the world, I love my church and my faith "all faiths" but lets face it very little around faith can be proven, however the current and future Environmental disasters are Fact so why do we continue to walk around with "rose tinted glasses" and embrace ignorance toward our environment but embrace, kill and pillage in the name of god?

I understand its frightening for many to accept the possibility that our way of life and very existence hinges on our behaviour and attitude towards our planet but it should also comfort those that are willing to accept the problems we face and realise we can make a change.

I too am all for a "greener" planet. Not for the co2, i'm still wary. But there are differences we can make one of my cheif concerns being smogg (The reaction of polution with sunlight). This is prevalent and damaging everything that i comes into the contact. Look in china - that smogg is scary, they don't go out of their houses somedays.

But Al should win a noble prize if he becomes president and actually curbs (sharply) the U.S.A energy demands. If he ran he would have to good chance of winning, he knows this, people think he's the messiah. However even he knows that if he were predident he wouldn't do enough, so the the stages

Learn about Global warming ---> Produce a documentary bout global warming ---> Follow through on this documentary and market it ---> Do another big event so you are mr. Green (live 8 was a joke and a farce) ---> Actually do something about global warming (hmmm... err... nah we'll give that one a miss). He doesn't deserve a nobel prize, it degrades the prize. So please Mr.Gore prove me wrong and acually do something signifciant (no driving a prius doesn't count).

Al Gore is getting the word out about how "Global Warming" is effecting our wonderful planet, and i think that that is a good thing because he can the word out and make people realize what "Global Warming is really doing to our planet. I have also heard about the thing where this is just another one of earths natural cycles, but i have still to decide what i think is really causing the melting of th polar ice caps, rising temp., ect.

In the long run, i am all in for making our planet greener and definitely, STOPPING pollution. ;)

I agree with making the policy of "making the earth greener" but not because of "polution". More because of the wastefulness of our societies. Here in britain supermarkets throw away tons of bread away a month and people driving down the shops quick to get an peach or something they could just have waited for.

However just to pick issue with your little statement (cos i'm a prick like that)

In the long run, i am all in for making our planet greener and definitely, STOPPING pollution

<me-being-a-big-prick>

The thing that we were debating was that carbon dioxide produced by humans was indeed harmful/poisonous effect on the planet (pollution). And in turn is mr gore correct in his documentary.

</me-being-a-big-prick>

However i have to say it's a good documentary of the earths status as the world heats up, but news shows do that pretty well too. It's just that he was really preaching why this was happening and there are still a significant amount of uncertainties in research in this field (as i suppose it isn't a simple issue to measure and test)

But yes we do need to change like al says but not to reduce carbon dioxide.

Reduce consumption of nearly everything: Water (toilet and baths and showers etc), food (i.e. obesity, throwing food away), electricity, gas etc.

Dammit it i just can't resist this thread!

You know, the earth doesn't need any saving. The earth was doing fine before man came along, and will do fine when man has become extinct. It's only that man is possibly causing ill effects on the climate that may destroy human civilization as we know it. Our civilization is fragile and needs a somewhat constant climate.

Life on earth isn't in any real danger, even if humans would put their minds into trying to destroy all life on earth. Life has survived many cataclysmic events (even up to 95 % of all life killed and the earth frozen into a big ball of ice). The most extreme change I've heard of is a planet smashing into proto-planet earth, covered in water. This scooped away lots of water into the void of space and formed the --up to then submerged-- landmass (and the moon). So even after that cosmic event, life was able to establish itself on the newly formed planet earth.

And, of course, long before that, our Solar system was formed out of an explosion of another star (with a bigger mass than our Sun). After gravity pulled the exploded mass together, the Sun and the Solar system was formed.

So you see, life isn't really in danger, but we humans and our civilization might be.

In conclusion: we have to save ourselves from ourselves and our shortsightedness.

Edited by Ignoracious