simeonlj

Please Help - Cant open ports on Belkin 54g router for Acquisition

Hi,

Some help would be most appreciated.

I have a Belkin 54g F5D7632-4 wireless router and Im running an iMac Intel on this.

Im new to this torrent lark, but would like to increase the speed of my downloads as they are painfully slow!

I've gone into the Firewall>Virtual Servers, entered the IP address of my computer and added both 6346 and 6881 each on seperate rows, but the same for both LAN and Public ports. Is this right?

I've checked TCP&UDP, then checked Enable and clicked Set.

Ive then also gone into Mac OS X 'Sharing' then Firewall and added a new port, named it Acquisition and added the numbers seperated by a comma on each line again.

So, all traffic should be being let through both ports, right? Wrong! Sadly, when I use http://www.yougetsignal.com/ it tells me that port 6881 is open but that port 6346 is closed :-/

What's going on?

Any help with fixing this would be most appreciated.

Can I get by downloading just through this port 6881?

Also, which Torrent download site should I be using? BitTorrent, Transmission, Azareus or Acquisition or any better ones?!

Many Thanks,

Simeon.

I've used Acquisition for a long time and have never messed with my port configurations. Might be why I can never get Azureus to work at all.

Hopefully, some of the real network savvy folks here can help you.

Bittorrent by default uses ports 6881 thru 6889. You should set up port forwarding and open the Mac firewall for all 9 of those, just as you did for 6881 already.

Many Bittorrent users change the port numbers they use to avoid simplistic ISP traffic blocks. It's in your client apps Preferences. Change the app, firewall, and router port forwarding to the same range, whatever you pick.

Dunno what port 6346 is for, I never used Acquisition/Gnutella/Limewire. It's not impossible that you have set it up correctly but your ISP is just blocking that port. AFAIK, you can't use a different port with the Gnutella Limewire network (except by routing through a proxy.)

I prefer http://canyouseeme.org/ to test for properly forwarded ports, because on failure it gives a more detailed Reason, and "connection timeout" suggests bad forwarding or firewall setting while "connection refused" suggests the desired application isn't running.

Thank You for your help Huskermn and car1son!

I wish I was cleverer at all this!

Methinks I need more practice...

Will try and sort out those ports tomorrow.

Many Thanks,

Sim.

I have extensive experiance with opening ports on routers, however, I've never used that particular router. It sounds like you're doing everything correctly. I would disable (for now) the OS X firewall, just to take it out of the equation. Once that's done, check again and see if the problem is solved. If not, verify and make sure that there are no type-o problems in the ports you've entered in your router. I'd also suggest using portforward.com as a resource; they have almost every make and model of router and instructions on forwarding ports (which is what you're doing with the whole virtual server thing). Good luck.

-Tom

Acquisition automatically opens the ports it needs to work on the router, providing that the Belkin router uses NAT/PMP or UPnP (which most do).

However you will have to open OS X's built in firewall ports, instructions here:

http://www.acquisitionx.com/ports.php

roog