Sign in to follow this  
MacBookinToronto

Please Help- How do I change locations?

Hey everyone,

I was hoping to get some help with a problem that's been bugging me for ages. I live in Canada and whenever I try to go to the NBC website to watch free streaming episodes of Heroes or The Office I get told the video is not available from my location (i.e Canada and NOT the US).

Does anyone know if there's a way to make my browser (Safari 3.0.3) think I'm located in the States or a way to switch it so my IP comes from the states? Basically I have no idea how to go about getting around the block and was hoping someone could shed some light.

Thanks so much in advance

I'd say use an US based free public proxy server, but don't forget to clear the cookie set by the NBC server, because that may have some information in it as well. In most cases, once you're authenticated and have received the cookie, you can unhook the proxy server and use normal Internet access, because downloading and streaming through a proxy server is rather slow. It's just to get you authenticated and get that cookie from the NBC server in Safari.

You can access the proxy server settings through the Configure button in the Network section of your System Preferences.

Are there really free public proxies that can provide sufficient bandwidth to stream video ?