TheMacMommy

iWeb and no dot mac account

I just recently got iWeb (with my new MBP) and haven't yet tried it because there is nothing in the tutorials that explains how to post websites to something other than dot mac. Cox Communications is my ISP and I get 10MB of space for web hosting free with each email account, so I can string 7 email accounts together and have a website. About a year ago I invested several weeks into putting up a website and I used Dreamweaver and then CyberDuck as my FTP uploader. I strung a bunch of sites together and it works. Problem is, it's now greatly outdated AND I have a busy toddler so I don't have a lot of time to devote to it anymore. Not to mention I've forgotten a lot since I've given birth. Something about labor removes parts of your memory and not always the things you don't want to forget!! That's why I got excited about iWeb, it looks fast and easy, plus it's paid for!

I've googled and searched the forum but can't find any good instructions for how to publish to my web space with my personal ISP account. I read somewhere it was possible but not pretty but that's all it said.

Has anyone done this successfully? I have my CyberDuck all set up with bookmarks and passwords saved and spaces available for sites but no knowhow to get it on there with iWeb.

Anyone care to help a Mamma out? Thanks!!

Hi Mom,

Have you looked at the support section?

I tried a few of the links and it seems some pages are down at the moment? not very helpfull.

I use Site Ground to host my sites and feel its better to have a dedicated service to provide this sort of thing however it sounds like your ISP could be a quick and dirty way to get a presence ;-)

Good luck

*Edit* Sorry looks like the link is not working and this may be because its sorted by location for some odd reason, it should work prividing you enter your state.

Edited by zionlion

I dont think iWeb has built in ftp or sftp functionality, but since you already have an ftp client setup, you can select File > "Publish to Folder" and then just upload that to your server.

Thanks guys! I will check it out. ^_^

Don't forget your lunch.

Mom

Thanks guys! I will check it out. ^_^

Don't forget your lunch.

Mom

If you have your own web server (ISP account) other than .Mac, you can publish your iWeb site to a 'Folder' from the File menu > 'Publish All to a Folder'. You can then FTP (file transfer protocol) the contents of the Folder to your server. This process is a bit more advanced. In addition, if you have a Domain name at another ISP, you can use this as a 'front door' to your iWeb .Mac account. Build and publish your iWeb site to .Mac as normal. Then at your domain web site, on your domain homepage (index.html) place the word 'Enter' and make 'Enter' a link to your .Mac account. This way you can continue to use your Domain name for your viewers and still use iWeb .Mac to build your web site.

Thanks, Joe.

I should probably be figuring out how to do this. I have used my .Mac for my web presence for a long time and haven't done anything to move my web stuff to my own domain.