joenspa

Safari 3 Beta

I have been using Safari 2 very happily. Then the other day I had to test something in IE 5.2. Faster, way faster. I really don't want to switch to IE but I might give a beta a try. Anyone got 2 cents on the Safari 3 beta?

Ive been using it for a while now and havent had many problems with it at all. Sometimes it gets alil sluggish, but less so then Safari 2 for me. And the improved tabs are really good. Overall the program is alil faster then Safari 2, not sure about how fast it loads pages though.

i'm not sure if my problems with safari 3 are beta problems only or if it was the same with version 2. i dont remember. but my two complaints are these: sometimes when i click a bookmark in the bookmark bar, i'll get the spinning beach ball for about 2 seconds then safari will crash. and my other complaint is it uses a lot a ram, so i have to quit out of it and restart it often.

I use it fairly exclusively and haven't had any major problems. It does occasionally get very sluggish, which I usually chalk up to having 5-6 windows active with 2-3 tabs each.

I have to admit that if I really want speed, I usually use Firefox.

But Safari 3(.0.3 now) with SAFT, really fits my needs 75% of the time.

make sure you update it... cause i downloaded it when it first came out 3.0.0... that was a bad decision... but after the 0.2 update havn't had a problem :D

The main problem for me is with PDFs.

If a link takes me to a PDF download, there is a wait for 15 secs, and then Safari crashes. Every time. Its made me switch to Firefox for much of my work now. If its a Safari bug rather than some sort of clash it really should have been sorted by now.

The main problem for me is with PDFs.

If a link takes me to a PDF download, there is a wait for 15 secs, and then Safari crashes. Every time. Its made me switch to Firefox for much of my work now. If its a Safari bug rather than some sort of clash it really should have been sorted by now.

It's not a bug I have ever encountered. Do you have 3.0.3?

But Safari 3(.0.3 now) with SAFT, really fits my needs 75% of the time.

What are the benefits of SAFT?

Here's the list - SAFT features

The one I use the most is the Session restore - if it crashes or I shut it down, I can get back any or all of the windows/tabs I had opened.

It's not a bug I have ever encountered. Do you have 3.0.3?

Yes 3.0.3

I use 3 beta and I have no problems with it. But of course I have to use every other browser too for work (web development).

But ie 5.2...? That's about three years out of date. A horrible, horrible thing. Use camino if you're worried about speed.

I'm running 3.0.3 and it's crashed a few times when downloading - can't say I've noticed any dramatic increase in speed. If it starts grinding along I switch to Firefox!

Safari crashes occasionally on websites with Flash video, but I think it's the same deal with Firefox. Besides that, Safari 3.0.3 tends to be fast and stable when I use it on my MacBook.

So, currently Safari 3 = official release for Leopard, but beta for Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger + Windows? I hope they continue to release updates for Safari 3 on 10.4 Tiger.

One nasty habit of safari 3 is it sips up memory and never frees it. After 24 hrs open it is using over 800 MB RAM and claiming 17% CPU time while just sitting in a window. It seems to have a very bad memorymanagement part not releasing the datapool.

Rob

One nasty habit of safari 3 is it sips up memory and never frees it. After 24 hrs open it is using over 800 MB RAM and claiming 17% CPU time while just sitting in a window. It seems to have a very bad memorymanagement part not releasing the datapool.

Rob

Safari 3 doesnt work with snapfish for uploading photos.

I us it for uploading photos to costco.com and its a real bummber. Is it impossible to have both versions installed?