Sign in to follow this  
Lexonex

Airport Extreme Base and Vista 64 bit O.S.

Just to make sure, the Apple Airport Extreme base ($179) is compatible with Vista 64 bit O.S.?

I understand itunes software is NOT compatible at this time with Vista 64 bit O.S. but, I want to make sure about the Airport Extreme Base. I am going to run Ethernet from my cable modem to the Airport Extreme base and then Ethernet back to my PC running 64 bit Vista. I want to make sure I can do that.

I plan on purchasing a MacBook and using the "wireless" signal.

Thanks.

Edited by Lexonex

I am relatively sure you can use the Airport Extreme with Vista 64, but, I don't think you can administer it with Vista 64. I have an Airport Extreme but I can't find the disk for the Admin Utility to check on this.

As an aside (this is NOT a put down) - why are you running Vista 64? I'm not a Windows guy but everything I've heard in podcasts (mostly TWIT netowrk stuff) indicates there really isn't any software available for the 64 bit version.

Well, this is true. I just went for it. I upgraded my XP to Vista Home Premium 32bit. I thought at the time ALL Vista operating systems were 64 bit. I just had to have it. I sent away for the 64 bit disc and installed it. Yea, I had to replace some software and hardware such as a scanner etc. I thought I was going to get some kind of performance with the 64 bit O.S. Waiting on that first service pack due from MS at the first of the new year.

Back to the subject at hand; I have never ran any kind of wireless system at home. So, I'm not sure what not being the "administer" means. I talked myself into a notebook/laptop and thought I would give Apple a chance with the New 64 bit O.S. Leopard. You know run my Vista upstairs and just beam my wireless signal through the house to access with a future MacBook.

I definitely understand the "gotta have it, go for it" mentality. Been there, done that, a LOT over the years. I'm not at all an expert on this, but, it's my understanding that the real power of 64 bit processing only comes with software that can use it (like high end video editing). I'm fairly sure that the G5 and early OS X could DO 64 bit, but nothing really came of it. That's what I think will happen with Vista SP1. You need software which takes advantage of the hardware and OS for it to matter.

Anyway, Apple Airport Base Stations generally require Admin Utility software on a machine for proper setup. The closest thing I could find in Apple Support is AirPort Admin Utility 3.2 for Windows which it says is 'unsupported' and runs on XP.

I really like my Extreme but you could more easily get a different (and, probably cheaper) wireless router which is supported by Vista 64 (that's a guess) and still connect your new MacBook wirelessly. You don't need an Airport Base Station to connect to a MacBook (it's just more cool :rolleyes: - hey, I'm an Apple stockholder)

Well, just found on the Apple Support website that there is a version of the Airport Utility that supports Vista (though, I still doubt it's Vista 64).

Oh, and, I'm moving this topic to the Networking topic area.

I do appreciate the help/info....and please if you learn anything "for sure" about the Airport Extreme and Vista 64 bit please let me know.

Thanks.

The airport extreme / express devices are pretty unique in that they require software to be installed on the local machine to set them up. Every other router I own / have used (which is quite a lot!) has a web based setup that requires nothing more than a web browser (although if you can call IE anything other than a steaming pile of crap is another matter!).