Sign in to follow this  
almighty_spork

Windows Media Center Edition Remote and my Mac

At work, for reasons I don't fully understand, we have several extra Windows MCE remotes, we don't however have any of the receivers. Does anyone know of a way to to use that remote with the built-in IR port on my MacBook? I did some Google searches and couldn't come up with anything. I'm kinda hoping there is a way since I like the extra functions that the MCE remote offers. Sure the Apple remote is simple and works well with Front Row, but I have a TV tuner, and that remote would be ideal.

-Tom

ithonicfury    0

Unfortunately, I think it only goes the other way. You can use an MCE receiver to use an apple remote on machines without a built-in receiver, but not a mce remote on a mac as far as I know.

Edited by ithonicfury

This is about the same conclusion I've come to. Too bad. I wonder if its a technical impossibility, or if it's just a matter of someone writing a driver.

-Tom

ithonicfury    0

I dont think the IR receiver in the mac would support it, but using the MCE remote with an MCE receiver should only be a matter of a driver, specially considering that there are other remotes that will work with the Mac (such as the one that ships with the elgato eyetv 250.)