Ignoracious

Why would I join Facebook?

Triggered by a post on this forum, I started to investigate this Facebook. Their website states:

Facebook is a social utility that connects you with the people around you.

Why would I need to do that? I connect with the people around me by talking to them.

So what reason would there be for me to join this Facebook? I don't get why people get so excited about it.

Triggered by a post on this forum, I started to investigate this Facebook. Their website states:

Why would I need to do that? I connect with the people around me by talking to them.

So what reason would there be for me to join this Facebook? I don't get why people get so excited about it.

Im of the same mind with "Social" networks and wonder what the fascination is? perhaps never being a member of any explains this.

I also fear the potential problems with publishing personal information on the internet, I worked in HR for many years and towards the end of that employment I would Google candidates before interviews and I found some very "interesting" info.

Facebook was orininally developed for universities so that poeple around campus could compunicate and keep up with events easily without having to email people. Then people started using it to comunicate with people at different uni or with friends at home. It is easy to use. However i would rather talk to them, hence why i have emailed all my friends who have gone to uni and sent them pictures not just randomly posted them. I could be argued that one with face book could use email for the same use and use facebook to respond to the riff raff. This for me is a bit impersonal and why would i wanna keep in contact with the "riff raff"

So there is why people have it and why i don't.

(For people who aren't separated by long jorneys and aren't seeing each other for a while (not at uni) this service is stupid)

at first i got it just because all my friends had it and to communicate with people i met in class. and eventually i noticed that people started using facebook messages when we had previously used email. i dont get those annoying chain mail messages from friends anymore, and i've noticed that my email is primarily used for official school letters (all my school correspondence is online, which is nice), work communication, and online shopping/registrations etc. anytime i need to contact a friend, i'll facebook message them, because all of my friends have it, and they probably respond to facebook messages more quickly than their email anyway. also, one can argue how good of an idea it is to put personal info on a website, but a lot of my friends do (and you can set the privacy settings so only your friends see it). so if i need to look up a friend's number or aim screenname or something, its quick and easy to do that. obviously facebook has evolved to incorporate more than just those basics, but thats its main purpose for me.

I joined facebook... I hate it. I'm more of the Twitter/Jaiku/flickr/del.ico.us person. If you think it's a bad idea, don't join.

i only use it because my friends complained lol... the nice thing about it is after you set it up you don't have to get on it... i only get on if someone contacts me... i get all the notifications through email so i don't have to go on every day and look around... plz people i didn't have contact with cause they have moved have contacted me... people i havn't talked to for years its really nice :)

There are some people in my past I'd rather never see or hear of again (shudder the thought). So that's no Facebook for me.

I personally love Facebook. I love how it can be personal and intimate but can also be very informal and laid back, depending on how much interaction you want to have with someone. I like how it feels like you are "hanging out" with old acquaintances (say from high school or college). People who I haven't kept in touch with; a lot of them were only friends in the "Hey how are you?" type of way. Not close friends, but people who are friendly. Old classmates, etc. And on Facebook, you can informally interact with them, as opposed to formally contacting them via phone or email. It's like being able to see them in the school hallway and casually chatting with them, see their new haircut, hear about a movie they watched recently, etc. These casual interactions are something we tend to lose once we leave the context that we knew these people in. And with Facebook, suddenly there we are again, hanging out.

Facebook for me has been a fantastic tool for networking with other design and photography professionals.