harrysnewbizzare

strange problem with airport/internet connection

I have a strange problem that I haven't experienced before... my iBook G4 though it connects via airport to my wireless router without problem, when I open safari/firefox I can't get any web pages to open. I know the router is working fine as I am using my other mac to write this post on the same wirleess network.

I have also tried connecting to the internet on other wireless networks and have the same problem so it does seem to be an issue with the iBook.

When I look at the Network status in System Preferences I have an orange dot by airport and it says I have a self-assinged IP. Now normally when i get this, a router or mac reboot normal sorts this out. But in this case i doesn't seem to be that easy.

I have repaired permssions and cleaned up the system with onyx with no reuslts.

any ideas.

thanks

I really hate it when that happens and, over time, it happens a lot more than I would hope.

It happened to me a couple weeks ago and really points out that as good as products are, networking is still fairly complex if it doesn't work.

Here's what I did -

1) Shut EVERYTHING down - machines, routers, dsl/cable modem (I unplug the routers and modems).

2) After a minute or so, start powering things back up one at a time modem, wait until your sure it's working, router, wait until you're sure it's working, the machine you use to administer the base station, wait until you're sure it's working and so on. It's painstaking but has always worked for me. (Though, there have been times when I had to do it more than once).

Good luck.

I really hate it when that happens and, over time, it happens a lot more than I would hope.

It happened to me a couple weeks ago and really points out that as good as products are, networking is still fairly complex if it doesn't work.

Here's what I did -

1) Shut EVERYTHING down - machines, routers, dsl/cable modem (I unplug the routers and modems).

2) After a minute or so, start powering things back up one at a time modem, wait until your sure it's working, router, wait until you're sure it's working, the machine you use to administer the base station, wait until you're sure it's working and so on. It's painstaking but has always worked for me. (Though, there have been times when I had to do it more than once).

Good luck.

I have done this several times with no success. The iBook just doesn't want to play. I cannot even access the admin page for the wireless router/dsl modem which in my case is 192.168.2.1. Like I say it is the same problem on different routers, both of which are working fine with other macs and PC's.

Edited by harrysnewbizzare

Sounds like you may need to set up your local connection manually.

There was a thread here not too long ago with a good explanation of how to do it.

Someone will be able to give a much better instruction that me, I'm sure

Sounds like you may need to set up your local connection manually.

Well, this seems to be a common problem across many mac forums with no solid solution or explanation as to why it happens.

One workaround suggestion was to Manually set up a location and assign the IP, which i think is what you are suggesting huskerman, I will try this when home tonight. However, even if this does work I dont like things half-working and see no reason why it shouldn't work normally.

Has anyone else experienced this problem here?

One thing I just thought of is the airport card in your iBook might not be functioning properly. Have you tried an ethernet connection just to assure your Networking is working.

Could also be your Firewall getting in the way.

One thing I just thought of is the airport card in your iBook might not be functioning properly. Have you tried an ethernet connection just to assure your Networking is working.

Could also be your Firewall getting in the way.

Something quite strange is going on. The airport connection started to get an IP but still no internet, i read elsewhere people had solved the problem by manually entering DNS servers, so I did this for my ISP Tiscali. Now it works!!! However, this isn't really a solution as I don't want to have to enter the DNS servers everytime I connect from a different access point, or set up locations etc...

One thing I did Huskermn was as you said check the ethernet connection, and it has the same problem, it will only connect with manual DNS servers?

What could suddenly make this stop working automatically?

Sorry, not enough of a network geek to understand why DHCP doesn't automatically obtain DNS info. A pure guess - corruption in your OS which only affects networking

These are the kinds of issues which make customer support SO tough for tech companies.

Sorry, not enough of a network geek to understand why DHCP doesn't automatically obtain DNS info. A pure guess - corruption in your OS which only affects networking

These are the kinds of issues which make customer support SO tough for tech companies.

Ok, well thanks for all you help and suggestions, I will keep at it and let you know if I solve anything.

Ok, well thanks for all you help and suggestions, I will keep at it and let you know if I solve anything.

Right I have finally worked this out, and as often happens, it now seems very obvious. NetBarrierX had blocked the IP of my router 192.1682.1 and so the reason it seemed to happen with many routers is many routers have this as the default IP.

Now this does seem like something I should have checked in the first place however the problem was with my sister's iBook and I hadnt realised she had NetBarrierX installed. I can only assume that it pop up with an alert message triggered by some router action and she added the IP the the stop list without realise what she was doing.

This stoped the router dynamically adding DNS servers so I could get to any webpages. The thing that finally convinced me it was a blocking issue was that even when I could browse the internet with manual DNS servers I was getting the error 'POSIX errordomain:13 permission denied if I tried to access the router admin page.

Anyway enough enough...

Yay!

Glad you figured it out. I didn't even think to ask about extra firewalls.

Sometimes just bouncing ideas gets something in ones head that ends up working.