real

USB 2.0 to Firewire 400

Good Day to to all,

I currently have a ver. A 12" PB with USB 1.1. One of the problems with having old but still does what I want hardware.

On the iPhone and all iPod models requirements state you have to have a usb 2.0 port.

Which I don't. I am looking for solutions for this.

Any thought would be great.

thanks

real

Of course, you understand that Apple wants you to buy new hardware with your iPhone. That doesn't solve your problem, but it is something to think about. You could put "firewire usb 2.0" into Google to find conversion cables. I have no idea if that would work.

Does your PowerBook have a PCMCIA card slot? There are lots of USB 2.0 solutions for CardBus equipped PowerBooks and portables.

roog

Nope,

I'm starting to feel a purchase of new macbook or something :(

Would some kind of USB and firewire hub work.

Edited by real

iPhone won't do anything with a firewire connection. I've had it tell me it's incompatible and act like it was charging but I read elsewhere that since it has no firewire built in it may actually be discharging instead.

Have you tried using the USB 1.1 port? There's a possiblity it would work, just very slowly.

FYI - I have an old iBook I'd test this on, but since my personal ringtones and iToner still work for me, I don't want to chance messing that up.

I've been dealing with this same issue for about 2 years or so. My iPod only supports USB 2.0 but my iMac G4 only has FireWire and USB 1.0. My solution? I just sync the iPod over USB 1.0. It's very slow but it works.

I have around 50GB of files on my iPod. My first sync took almost exactly 24 hours. Now of course I never have to wait that long. But I notice that it takes iTunes a while to recognize my docked iPod and then there is a bit of a wait when ejecting it as well.

It's not a very pretty solution, but it works.

I have an iPod touch that also requires USB 2.0, but I am able to sync it fine over 1.1 . Like others have said, it is slow, but it works.

Sorry for not getting back to you guys, busy at work.

Thats good news that it works, I was fearing that it would not work. I can handle slowly(I have a 867 mhz G4 :) )

I was under the impression that it would not work at all.

Thanks for the heads up, and the time.

Mr. Mac how it the iPod touch. Can't wait to get a new iPod.

real

Mr. Mac how it the iPod touch. Can't wait to get a new iPod.

It is the single most amazing piece of Apple technology I have ever seen, touched or owned. It is an unbelievable product and I am extremely happy with it. BTW, I have a cousin who has an iPhone, and he has been able to sync it fine with his 867MHz 12in. Powerbook G4. over USB 1.1. My ibook also recognized it just fine when I connected it to my ibook to copy some photos that I wanted off of it, so you should have no problems syncing either an iPod or an iPhone with your PB, so I say buy your iPhone or iPod and start enjoying Apple's latest technology. Best of Luck!!!

Edited by Mr. Mac