Ignoracious

Steve says: "iPhone and iTouch SDK in February '08."

Finally, the word is out. Steve Jobs has announced in an open letter that an SDK will be released in February 2008, and hundreds of applications will be available for the iPhone and iPod touch. Now that is good news!

If you read the letter carefully, you'll see that iPhone and iTouch applications will probably not be free, and sold via the iTunes Store. Of course, I could be wrong here, but I doubt it. If this is true, the hackers will keep on hacking new applications for free, to circumvent the iTunes Store (because they can) and put applications on your iPhone or iTouch directly via an apt-get like program.

Edit: Other software developers will probably sign up with Apple for a license, and earn some money in this new ecosystem (and rightly so). I hope Apple will have a fair pricing system for developers, so both small and big companies can develop for both devices.

Edited by Ignoracious

Goodbye, Verizon... Just what I needed to hear.... I bet the price will be dropped by then too! =)

Finally all the whiners can shut up! Well that is until Apple tells us iPhone/iPod Touch aren't completely open to protect them from viruses. Then I'm sure the bile will spew forth again.

I just firmly believe that those complaining are the very vocal minority. No it's not scientific, but I've known many people with PDA's and most only ever downloaded a 1 or 2 apps. None of the people I know with iPhones have downloaded apps yet and only one seems interested.

But I guess none of that matters. It is only good news that Apple is working on an SDK. It can only serve to widen the iPhone/iPod Touch market. I just don't see its effects being that dramatic.

Only Apple could get away with this, I mean why have you iPhone users had to wait 1/2 year for 3rd party Apps?

I must be living in some parallel universe, how did Jobs turn into the best Daddy ever? "Simon screams loudly and heads for some calming tea" ;-)

Its official Steve Jobs is the secret love child of Sigmund Freud, he is in your heads ppl lol

Only Apple could get away with this, I mean why have you iPhone users had to wait 1/2 year for 3rd party Apps?

I guess you'd rather wanted people to wait 1/2 year to get the iPhone?

Better to release a slightly crappy product early than to release a complete product too late. And don't forget that Google attracts good programmers by the train loads, so Apple has to do with the little talented programmers they currently have. Creating an SDK seems to be very time-consuming and labor-intensive.

Am I the only one not surprised at this?

They did the same thing that they did with bootcamp. They released the iPhone and intel iMacs, wait for people hack around the drm to run windows/iphone apps, then screw them more by releasing an sdk/bootcamp.

I know apple has always had an sdk right there waiting, steve likes screwing people.

I guess you'd rather wanted people to wait 1/2 year to get the iPhone?

Better to release a slightly crappy product early than to release a complete product too late. And don't forget that Google attracts good programmers by the train loads, so Apple has to do with the little talented programmers they currently have. Creating an SDK seems to be very time-consuming and labor-intensive.

My point is this, release the product without SDK "fine",but communicate the fact that we will have a future release of an SDK "then" not "now". Its been the biggest bone of contention with users and non users alike.

How many years have ppl waited for the iPhone? IMO it would have made "smarter" business sense to at least have announce the SDK along with the iPhone but I DONT accept they have not had time.

It proves my point time and time again that Apple are crap at handling the growth of the business even after the Windows fiasco years ago when they took the foot of the throttle and allowed Microsoft to saturate the market and the Leppard delay "that made them look stupid". I don't have shares in the company but man those that do should be slapping Jobs around Cupertino, share prices have increased but its short sited to think they wouldn't have been higher if only.....

Jobs is arrogant and this will jump up and bite his arse, it already has with iTunes and Amazon.

It proves my point time and time again that Apple are crap at handling the growth of the business even after the Windows fiasco years ago when they took the foot of the throttle and allowed Microsoft to saturate the market and the Leppard delay "that made them look stupid". I don't have shares in the company but man those that do should be slapping Jobs around Cupertino, share prices have increased but its short sited to think they wouldn't have been higher if only.....

Jobs is arrogant and this will jump up and bite his arse, it already has with iTunes and Amazon.

I won't say that Apple is always right (or, even close), but I AM a stockholder and think they're doing a pretty good job of managing growth. Take a look at the chart dating back to the split in 2005 AAPL: Google Finance. It's been a pretty steady rise. I don't see how they can maintain this run (and, don't really expect them to do so) but I think you'll have a hard time finding a stock that's done much better.