Sign in to follow this  
Kosmos

Hard Drive RPM

How much of a difference does the Hard Drive RPM make? I just baught the MacBook Pro and I opted for the 200GB drive @ 4200 RPM. I'm not doing anything outside of iLife, so did I make the correct choice or is 5400 RPM a major factor? I'd like to hear what any of you have to say.

How much of a difference does the Hard Drive RPM make? I just baught the MacBook Pro and I opted for the 200GB drive @ 4200 RPM. I'm not doing anything outside of iLife, so did I make the correct choice or is 5400 RPM a major factor? I'd like to hear what any of you have to say.

For what you need your Mac to do then no its not a consideration and will run very very well, its only when you step into the realms of Video editing, CAD and Pro Audio that RPM would be a factor.

I'm a Graphic Designer, so I'm always using intense programs (i.e. - Photoshop, InDesign, Quark, etc.) but conserns for that usually reside more on the memory-side of things. But admittedly - I'm a speed freak, so I enjoy my systems running a 7200 RPM drive (especially for opening/working with/saving/moving/etc.) large documents. If you're just doing web, E-mail, and iLife stuff you should be fine. Plus, it's always easy (and usually cheap enough) to upgrade said drive when/if you feel you need more UMPF! in your machine...

~ Steve

Due to the density of the data on the platters, there is virtually no difference between the 5400 and 4200 drives. It's only when you put a 7200 drive in your laptop will you see much difference (and a massive drop in battery life too...).

Due to the density of the data on the platters, there is virtually no difference between the 5400 and 4200 drives. It's only when you put a 7200 drive in your laptop will you see much difference (and a massive drop in battery life too...).

You nailed it, a 7200RPM drive will have a noticable impact on speed & battery life.

Great information! Thank you so much guys!